iPad Air is exiting to home screen more than ever

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by caq, Apr 22, 2014.

1. wytey

wytey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Mine does it once on a while, but I think it is only safari and mail that does it, or at least mainly, I use AirVideo alot and I don't remember it ever kicking me to the home screen

I think it is software(app) programming issues, re how they handle memory

#11 wytey, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. monkeyboy

monkeyboy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My iPad Air Safari crashes perhaps once ever 4-8 hours of use or so. My iPad 1 crashes much more, perhaps every 2 hours of use. it doesnt seem to relate to the complexity of the website and restarting Safari going to the same site never double crashes.

I think Chrome on my Android tab is somewhat less crash prone. And all the browsers on my PCs and laptops are far, far less crash prone (IE, Firefox and Chrome).

3. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Did you contact apple or swap it out? Not everyone has these issues and that makes me wonder if there are a few devices out there with a possible hard to trigger hardware problem on top of safari memory management problems. Just a thought.

4. caq

caq
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I know I am going to my Apple store when I am back from a short trip. I have the care plan, so I am sure they will swap it out. They had to swap out three iPad 2's. That care plan is so worth it with pads and phones.

I have some docs on my Goodreader that I have to transfer to my computer first. Not a big deal. It is quick and easy to do. I need them there anyway for reference access but just haven't done it yet.

It crashed 7 times yesterday while using Safari and 3 times when using my mail. Watch, it won't do it there. I think I will record what I am doing with my iPhone once in a while so they can see it happen. I do that with sewing and machine embroidery issues with my machine. That should work for this, also. I can blur the text with Skitch. They just have to see it crash and that I am in the mail and Safari built in apps.

It just dawned on me while proofreading this, it has NEVER happened with any apps I have downloaded. It is always the Safari and Mail. I think that is a tell. At least for this non-techy-knowledge-based mind! LOL

5. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine crashed three times last night and every time i was on Facebook, Its actually a Supermarkets FB page where you go to look at new products or make complaints ect , I think the fact that it crashes only on certain sites (In my case anyway) shows it isn't a hardware issue so no amount of exchanging will make any difference, (This is my second Air) I really think this will go on indefinitely and i just put up with it now.

6. markbnh1

markbnh1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Mine has also crashed since new, but less since the 7.1 update. I returned it to Apple once and all they did was a clean install of the operating system. No help! Mine happens almost exclusively when browsing Facebook on Safari. Like Poison Ivy I just accept it now and move on. I was hoping 7.1 would cure it, but no such luck. Oh, they are always "low memory" crashes in the log.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't even check the log anymore, I just think well its a better than it was and this is how it is.

8. caq

caq
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Well, I figure I paid big hard earned bucks for this and it should not be doing it, so even if it isn't hardware, they will be replacing it for as long as my care plan is in force. Maybe Apple will get tired of pads being returned and do something about it. I have a new 128 size iPad Air. It should not be doing this. This is not a toy. iOS 7.1.1 obviously did not fix this. I crash regularly. As a matter of fact, it did it just before I opened this app while I was selecting emails to delete. I selected 5 and was abruptly exited to the home screen. Not that it should make any difference, these were just small emails and no photos.

It doesn't matter what site I am on in Safari.

9. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried it on Chrome just to see if its any better?

10. caq

caq
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have never been able to figure out what all that Google Chrome is all about, except I read a lot of complaints about it. I'll have to Google Google Chrome

I shouldn't have to use that. It would still use Safari to get to it, wouldn't it? I know I tried another browser with another iPad years ago, and didn't like it. Much preferred Google.