What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC Worldwide Launches iPlayer App in Canada; US Could Be Next

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
bbc_iplayer_out.JPG

Good news for those who have been awaiting the launch of the BBC’s iPlayer iOS app, as it has just launched in Canada today, and will hopefully also launch in the US before too long as well. According to the BBC, Canada is the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] territory to receive the iPlayer in the App Store, as well as the likes of the Australia, Germany and Italy. The global BBC iPlayer App is a unique Video on Demand pilot subscription service for iPad that offers the opportunity to view an extensive archive of award-winning classic and contemporary British TV programming both at home and on the move, including Fawlty Towers, Absolutely Fabulous, Doctor Who and Blue Planet.

Jana Bennett, BBC Worldwide President of Worldwide Networks and Global iPlayer said: "We're proud to be building on the successful launch of this App by introducing it to Canada. It will open up the opportunity for a whole new audience to enjoy the best moments from seventy years of brilliant BBC programmes, wherever and whenever they want."

Subscribers will also have access to the BBC’s extensive music archive, including live shows by Oasis, Blue and Dire Straits. Other features will include special themed collections, such as Daleks Forever, which is all about Doctor Who’s Daleks, as you might have guessed.

The player is free to download, but anyone outside of the UK (where the service is free) will have to pay a subscription fee of €6.99 in Europe, $8.99 in Canada and $9.49 in Australia. Annual subscriptions are also available.

Click here to download: BBC iPlayer for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: BBC Worldwide via Engadget

Last edited:

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hope it's faster to down load in the future.
Talked an age to download episodes at present.
Trying to down load a series of 6 episodes.
Over night it has down loaded 2 That's a lot of hours to down load an hour show!!!
Day two and still only 3/4 through the 3 episode.
It jams up all other web browsing at the same time.
I'm in oz

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
The selection of programs is disappointing. The one show I like is "Waking the Dead" but only the first 3 seasons are posted. I've watch 4 Seasons on Netflix. Was hoping to see the rest.
AA

Love that show

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loved that series.....saw the last ever episode earlier this year (assuming there are no Christmas specials!).

The Archangel

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Can't wait till it hits the U.S.

Ditto. I've been in Dr. Who withdrawals since mid September, when I moved to a rural area where off-the-air and cable do not occur and satellite is a ridiculous two year contract. Broadband here is DSL at 1mbps (typically much slower even though the hub is two blocks away) at $70/mo, which includes the required phone service. No 3G here, either. New AT&T tower right above town with max strength for voice but only max strength for EDGE data. On he other hand, I rent a 1700 ft sq house that's 3bd/2ba, 4 years old, new appliances and 1/4 acre property with a view for $675/mo. Rough tradeoff.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts