1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Battery plugged in with 100%

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by wa7shish, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wa7shish

wa7shish iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have question about battery. If The iPad battery is charged 100% and I kept it plugged into a power outlet. Dose it harm the battery in anyway using it in this state or leaving for hours?
  2. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
    Hacking Rules - Please read
    iPad for Beginners
    Free iPad User Manuals
    Download The Official iPad Forum App

Regarding your question, there's no "harm" in leaving your iPad plugged in. However Apple recommends that their battery supported devices including iPads, iPhones, MacBooks, etc. not be left plugged in. Although it doesn't do any damage to the device it can throw off the battery percentage reading; the amount of time left before the battery runs out. If that happens, the device needs to be reset. Here's how to do that on the iPad:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Welcome again and enjoy!
  3. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Thats the $64k question, isnt it? Ive searched quite a bit on this topic and as usual - the internet offers opinions from just about every angle. Ive read on various forums and other publications:

1) Every month or so, let the battery completely die or get to about 5% and then fully charge it. Do this once a month or thereabouts.
    2) Do NOT leave it plugged in when fully charged.... unplug it when it hits 100%. Thats why I charge during the day if at all possible.
    3) otherwise, when it gets down to about 20%-30%, charge her up.

So, unless someone proves otherwise, I wouldnt leave it charging when its at 100% - it might shorten battery life.
  4. wa7shish

wa7shish iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, there is no prove that it might harm the battery right? From what I understood that only once a month let the battery dies or 5% and for the rest of the other days I charge it at between 20 and 30%.
    Thanks for the respond
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Yes - running the battery down occasionally is for the sole purpose of calibrating the battery meter.

Tim
  6. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Nope. Leaving a li-ion battery plugged in when it is fully charged does no damage to the battery, whatsoever. The charging circuit simply shuts off when the battery is fully charged. Look at it this way. If keeping a device plugged in reduced the life of the battery, don't you think Apple would mention it in the battery care documentation they provide? Not necessarily because they care about users but simply to provide a rationale for charging customers to replace batteries..."You didn't leave this iPad connected to a charger after it was fully charged, did you? Well, you should have read the instructions..."
  7. christinethoma

christinethoma iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks JSH1120,
    didnt know that all the battery unplug thing was a myth
  8. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Yes, JSH1120 is right. There's not a problem in leaving it plugged in to the charger 24/7.

Tim
  9. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    See now, Ive read otherwise when discussing these particular types of batteries but Ill go with what you guys say.

Well - Apple doesnt have to tell us every little thing about the charging details. Im with you though.... I never understood why some posts and other comments say to disconnect once its charged. Who knows? Until there is empirical data showing negative effects of leaving chargers plugged in, I guess we are good to do it. Fair enough. :)
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  10. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    I think it's because the Apple charger is 'intelligent' and switches off when the battery is fully charged. Yes - you're right - to continue to charge a fully charged battery is certainly not good for it. So, if you were charging with a 'dumb' charger, this would - most certainly - damage the battery.

So - we're both right!!....:D

Tim
  11. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    By the way, folks, there are many misconceptions about battery charging running around on the internet. Most of the myths do have some basis in fact but that's because in the old days (and I really mean the OLD days), it was possible to explode a battery by overcharging it. (We're talking lead acid batteries in cars, mainly.) The battery tips have tended to persist even as the battery technology has changed. Don't feel bad if you're carrying around some of these myths. Most of us do. Another common misconception is that it's necessary to charge a new battery all the way to 100% before using it. (The theory being that if you don't, the battery will believe it's fully charged when it isn't.) This isn't true of Lithium-Ion batteries, either. But I still always charge a battery fully before I use it. Superstition sometimes trumps facts. :)
  12. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    • Like Like x 1
  13. wa7shish

wa7shish iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys for the responds. I guess, I will go with the idea that it does not harm the battery ;)
  14. kingnba6

kingnba6 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    i charge my ipad when i am in school and at times i use it while it is charging and when it hits 100 i still leave it to charge because i am using it and dont want it to die anytime soon. do the same for my iphone; no harm so far
  15. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Sure thing. Glad that Apple thought of this since it IS much easier to just leave it plugged in instead of having to constantly check and see if its 100%!

Agreed. Batteries arent the only thing I have older memories of ;)
  16. stevnim

stevnim iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Probably the most important thing about battery and electronics lifetime is keeping them cool.
  17. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Remember that the charging circuitry in the iPad is inside the phone, and not in the brick. It's one chip, and it's smart enough not to attempt to charge a battery that is already fully charged. The concept of trickle-charge applies, which means that a fully charged, plugged in iPad will cycle the charging circuit on and off at a specific threshold to maintain your full charge - and if your meter is calibrated, you may see a fluctuation of 2% or so while using your device plugged into the appropriate power source.

The brick contains one chip as well, that handles input power from 80v to 280v and moderates current as the device draws power from the brick. If the device is not calling for power, none is supplied.

This makes charging with the brick more efficient than charging from your USB port, which is MOST cases is not this smart. There are a few USB chipsets that know how to do this as well, but not many - in fact only one that I'm aware of, and it's used on the newest Apple and Dell products.

I could tell you how I know about these chips, but then I'd have to kill you...
  18. Munky

Munky iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I've had my iPad 1 for about a year and a half and almost always leave it plugged in when I'm at home. And when I'm on battery power I still get 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 hours of better life from 100% to 3-4% (lowest ill let it get) and its only ever ran completely down till it shut off twice. (fell asleep and forgot to plug in)
  19. 1096bimu

1096bimu iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is actually better to have it plugged in at all times. Because then it doesn't use your battery at all, which means less wearing on it. But don't get too crazy about it, why have 12hour battery life if you never use it?
  20. Milliebert

Milliebert iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    When I bought mine, the Apple genius said not to use it plugged in. TO let the battery die each time, charge it fully, then unplug. It does indeed shut off when it gets to 100%, so charging overnight is fine, but as soon as it is in use, the charger kicks in whilst it's connected. So, when you see 98%, it will start charging again. I asked him surely it will cut off again and not charge when it's at a 100 whilst I'm using it and he said no, it will carry on charging... only when it's sleeping it stops. Rambling, sorry, but you get the gist. So I'll do as he said... that way it's his fault if he's wrong! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.