What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery plugged in with 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa7shish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have question about battery. If The iPad battery is charged 100% and I kept it plugged into a power outlet. Dose it harm the battery in anyway using it in this state or leaving for hours?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Regarding your question, there's no "harm" in leaving your iPad plugged in. However Apple recommends that their battery supported devices including iPads, iPhones, MacBooks, etc. not be left plugged in. Although it doesn't do any damage to the device it can throw off the battery percentage reading; the amount of time left before the battery runs out. If that happens, the device needs to be reset. Here's how to do that on the iPad:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Welcome again and enjoy!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have question about battery. If The iPad battery is charged 100% and I kept it plugged into a power outlet. Dose it harm the battery in anyway using it in this state or leaving for hours?

Thats the $64k question, isnt it? Ive searched quite a bit on this topic and as usual - the internet offers opinions from just about every angle. Ive read on various forums and other publications:

1) Every month or so, let the battery completely die or get to about 5% and then fully charge it. Do this once a month or thereabouts.
2) Do NOT leave it plugged in when fully charged.... unplug it when it hits 100%. Thats why I charge during the day if at all possible.
3) otherwise, when it gets down to about 20%-30%, charge her up.

So, unless someone proves otherwise, I wouldnt leave it charging when its at 100% - it might shorten battery life.

OP
wa7shish

wa7shish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, there is no prove that it might harm the battery right? From what I understood that only once a month let the battery dies or 5% and for the rest of the other days I charge it at between 20 and 30%.
Thanks for the respond

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - running the battery down occasionally is for the sole purpose of calibrating the battery meter.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats the $64k question, isnt it? Ive searched quite a bit on this topic and as usual - the internet offers opinions from just about every angle. Ive read on various forums and other publications:

1) Every month or so, let the battery completely die or get to about 5% and then fully charge it. Do this once a month or thereabouts.
2) Do NOT leave it plugged in when fully charged.... unplug it when it hits 100%. Thats why I charge during the day if at all possible.
3) otherwise, when it gets down to about 20%-30%, charge her up.

So, unless someone proves otherwise, I wouldnt leave it charging when its at 100% - it might shorten battery life.

Nope. Leaving a li-ion battery plugged in when it is fully charged does no damage to the battery, whatsoever. The charging circuit simply shuts off when the battery is fully charged. Look at it this way. If keeping a device plugged in reduced the life of the battery, don't you think Apple would mention it in the battery care documentation they provide? Not necessarily because they care about users but simply to provide a rationale for charging customers to replace batteries..."You didn't leave this iPad connected to a charger after it was fully charged, did you? Well, you should have read the instructions..."

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, JSH1120 is right. There's not a problem in leaving it plugged in to the charger 24/7.

Tim

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, JSH1120 is right. There's not a problem in leaving it plugged in to the charger 24/7.

Tim

See now, Ive read otherwise when discussing these particular types of batteries but Ill go with what you guys say.

Nope. Leaving a li-ion battery plugged in when it is fully charged does no damage to the battery, whatsoever. The charging circuit simply shuts off when the battery is fully charged. Look at it this way. If keeping a device plugged in reduced the life of the battery, don't you think Apple would mention it in the battery care documentation they provide? Not necessarily because they care about users but simply to provide a rationale for charging customers to replace batteries..."You didn't leave this iPad connected to a charger after it was fully charged, did you? Well, you should have read the instructions..."

Well - Apple doesnt have to tell us every little thing about the charging details. Im with you though.... I never understood why some posts and other comments say to disconnect once its charged. Who knows? Until there is empirical data showing negative effects of leaving chargers plugged in, I guess we are good to do it. Fair enough. :)

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's because the Apple charger is 'intelligent' and switches off when the battery is fully charged. Yes - you're right - to continue to charge a fully charged battery is certainly not good for it. So, if you were charging with a 'dumb' charger, this would - most certainly - damage the battery.

So - we're both right!!....:D

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, folks, there are many misconceptions about battery charging running around on the internet. Most of the myths do have some basis in fact but that's because in the old days (and I really mean the OLD days), it was possible to explode a battery by overcharging it. (We're talking lead acid batteries in cars, mainly.) The battery tips have tended to persist even as the battery technology has changed. Don't feel bad if you're carrying around some of these myths. Most of us do. Another common misconception is that it's necessary to charge a new battery all the way to 100% before using it. (The theory being that if you don't, the battery will believe it's fully charged when it isn't.) This isn't true of Lithium-Ion batteries, either. But I still always charge a battery fully before I use it. Superstition sometimes trumps facts. :)

OP
wa7shish

wa7shish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responds. I guess, I will go with the idea that it does not harm the battery ;)

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i charge my ipad when i am in school and at times i use it while it is charging and when it hits 100 i still leave it to charge because i am using it and dont want it to die anytime soon. do the same for my iphone; no harm so far

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it's because the Apple charger is 'intelligent' and switches off when the battery is fully charged. Yes - you're right - to continue to charge a fully charged battery is certainly not good for it. So, if you were charging with a 'dumb' charger, this would - most certainly - damage the battery.

So - we're both right!!....:D

Tim

Sure thing. Glad that Apple thought of this since it IS much easier to just leave it plugged in instead of having to constantly check and see if its 100%!

By the way, folks, there are many misconceptions about battery charging running around on the internet. Most of the myths do have some basis in fact but that's because in the old days (and I really mean the OLD days), it was possible to explode a battery by overcharging it. (We're talking lead acid batteries in cars, mainly.) The battery tips have tended to persist even as the battery technology has changed. Don't feel bad if you're carrying around some of these myths. Most of us do. Another common misconception is that it's necessary to charge a new battery all the way to 100% before using it. (The theory being that if you don't, the battery will believe it's fully charged when it isn't.) This isn't true of Lithium-Ion batteries, either. But I still always charge a battery fully before I use it. Superstition sometimes trumps facts.
smile.png

Agreed. Batteries arent the only thing I have older memories of ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts