What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

backing up the ipad and data/settings

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when my ipad is backed up, are the data/settings backed up as well? or is it just the apps

thx

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
when my ipad is backed up, are the data/settings backed up as well? or is it just the apps

thx
The backup will save data and settings as well as downloaded content. For example, game progress will be stored in the backup and will be transferred to whatever iPad you use the backup on.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thx.

if i set up wifi syncing, does the ipad have to be on the home network? does the desktop have to be turn on whenever i wifi sync in the future?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thx.

if i set up wifi syncing, does the ipad have to be on the home network? does the desktop have to be turn on whenever i wifi sync in the future?
Yes, your computer has to be on the same WiFi network as your iPad and it has to be on, with iTunes running.

Here's how to set up WiFi syncing. http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203075

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello - please provide some additional information, i.e. what iPad model do you own & what iOS is installed - also, are you backing up to a computer cabled via iTunes and/or to iCloud. The 'backups' to either sites will be much smaller than the actual amount of 'stuff' on your iPad - as an example, take a look at this Apple Support Article describing what is actually placed in iCloud - e.g. your apps are NOT stored but are logged so that if a restore is needed, Apple will simply download the information from their servers - saves a LOT of room.

As an example, I just bought a new 64 GB iPad Air 2 which I restored from my old iPad 2, and then added 12+ GB of MP3 music; storage now shows about 30 GB free - I've backed up this new device on my MBPro laptop via cabled iTunes and also to iCloud w/ Wi-Fi when the device is plugged to powered (does the backup once a day) - the iCloud BU is just 1.7 GB, so according to the link above the data stored is as described; now my music is obviously not a part of these daily backups, so if I needed to restore, my music would have to be added again.

NOW, I'm curious since all of my MP3 music is on my laptop and I have this new iPad backed up there also - would a restore from iTunes recognize what music I had on this new device vs. a restore from iCloud? Not a big deal but would be curious to know and would appreciate comments from others. Dave :)

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Giradman, yes it would, because iTunes backup backs up all your info on iPad, including what music is on there.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman, yes it would, because iTunes backup backs up all your info on iPad, including what music is on there.

Well, I'm not sure that is true unless all of your media (e.g. music not bought through iTunes as in my case) is stored on the computer where your iTunes app is located - on a computer, iTunes backs are placed in this folder in your Username - /Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ - so, I looked at a recent backup (see attached image) of my new iPad Air 2, just 1.54 GB, i.e. about the same as my iCloud backup - I believe that this 'compressed' file is containing just what is described HERE - on a restoration done w/ iTunes on a computer that contains your multimedia files (music not from iTunes, movies, etc.), then these are likely put back, BUT if done from an iCloud account, possibly another outcome - this seems more complicated to understand - not a big issue for me since I have my ripped music on multiple other backup devices. Thus, the conversation continues - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 3.47.42 PM.png

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it would have to be in your iTunes library on your computer, I think.. But how would it get on your iPad's music app otherwise.. Lol. Confusing

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Neither the iCloud nor the iTunes backup store your music files, apps, or other media content. What they do contain is a information about what apps, music, etc you have on the iPad.

In the case of iTunes, the backup is restored to the iPad, then your content is synced back to the iPad from the iTunes Library. This is why it is important to keep your iTunes library up to date with what is on the iPad. The easiest way of doing this is to sync now and then. You can do the same thing, with less chance of changing the content on the iPad, by using the Transfer Purchases option.

When an iCloud backup is used the apps, music, etc. are restored directly from online stores. This is why all your apps appear grayed out at first. They have to be downloaded again.

It is because backups work this way you can fit the backup for a 128 GB iPad into a 5 GB iCloud account. At least as long as documents and media stored in apps don't get too big. Those are also backed up, depending on your settings.

iTunes Backups
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

iCloud Backups
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks TP for the clarification - basically, my thoughts also, i.e. the size of those iCloud & iTunes backups are more of an 'inventory' of what is on your iPad; much of the real data, such as music files resides elsewhere in your personal storage and needs to be restored, if needed. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks TP for the clarification - basically, my thoughts also, i.e. the size of those iCloud & iTunes backups are more of an 'inventory' of what is on your iPad; much of the real data, such as music files resides elsewhere in your personal storage and needs to be restored, if needed. Dave :)

Mostly. But apps can contain data that goes into your backup, even if the app itself does not.

Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.

Everything you see on this page is online in your iCloud account. Notice all the stuff that's not actually part of your backup. These get restored to the iPad as needed when the apps that use it are opened for the first time.

Select your device under the Backups section. Here you can see a list of your apps and how much backup space each one takes. You can turn them off, which makes your backup smaller but means the data in that app will not be preserved.

Some intelligent choices here can keep your backup size reasonable without any real risks. For instance, having Evernote backup up it's data isn't very useful. All that information is already stored on Evernote's servers, and will re-sync when you open Evernote for the first time on the restored iPad.

Notice that it is up to you whether you Photo Library gets backed up.

Most reactions

Latest posts