Back up question

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by 2112, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 2112

Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I guess I will finally update to 7 and try a back up. I have a couple of apps with data I'd like to save. Will the ( choose what data you want to back ) in iCloud settings override any settings in the apps themselves, or will I have to go into each app's settings that I want saved and also turn on or activate iCloud there also? This iCloud stuff is giving me a headache lol. I'm sure it's not that difficult. I just have never put anything on my ipad that I could not live without if I lost it. But I'd like to giver a try. Thanks

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In this link you'll find what iCloud backs up: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US

What you have to do is go to Settings - iCloud - Storage & Backup. Choose "Manage Storage" to see something like this:

image-3375309816.jpg

You'll find the name of your iPad (top) and a part of the documents and data that are backed up. To see all apps on your iPad, tap your device's name:

image-1514055903.jpg

Choose "Show all", and decide for yourself if the apps need to be backed up by disabling/enabling it.

Hope that helps.

3. 2112

Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thank you J.A. This will help, good to know you are there when we need you.

4. ifunkb

ifunkb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I may be wrong, so correct me if I am, but I think the OP wants to know if his app settings (not just the data) will be saved. I think the answer to this is "No" because a backup doesn't backup the app; you must re-download it when you restore your backup. Oh, that may just be correct when doing a complete reset and restore? Sorry if I am wrong and messed up the correct answer!

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you restore from an iCloud backup, all the apps will be there again, if Apple ID and iCloud account are the same.

#5 J. A., Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad to help.