What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avid reader and suspense writer

Joan Hall Hovey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.joanhallhovey.com
Hi everyone,
I live in New Brunswick, Canada and love my Kindle, but I've been considering an ipad for awhile and would like to hear about the advantages, aside from the fact that it's bigger. I work on a desktop and also have a couple of laptops.

Joan

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hardly use my Kindle anymore. The ipad lets you view color images in books, access video links, highlight passages in different colors, type neat sticky notes that appear in the margins with the date written, plus all the other things Kindle can do. You can read books in many apps including The Kindle app. Far, far superior!

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used a nook in the past and have had the iPad for a couple of weeks and there is no comparison between the two IMHO. The only way the nook is superior is reading outdoors, but otherwise it is clunky. The user interface for the iPad is far superior. It's easy to highlight a passage or look up a word in the dictionary or move around to the table of contents or to anything you have highlighted The original nook was not a touchscreen and I found any of the features just too tedious to use. I love the sepia background color and feel it's easy on my eyes. If you can go to an Apple store and play around. The only thing I would like to find is a way to cut down the reflections/glare while reading a book outdoors - something I can remove when I'm done reading or working outdoors. Just love this thing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the Kindle you can read stuff very well, and do a few other things, not so well.

On the iPad you can read stuff, and watch stuff, and create stuff, and when that isn't enough you can play a game. And while reading a standard black and white book probably isn't quite as good as on a Kindle, it is better than doing without all the other things you can do.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looked at both last year.the coloured screen won me over.
But when I bought the iPad ,it opened a whole new world of things to do as well as reading books.
Amazed how much pleasure the iPad has given me.
Truly an amazing thing.
Get one you will be smiling forever

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
:)Thanks everyone for your comments. And also for putting the link to the manual here, Tim. Much appreciated. One last question: It there a Word Processing program on the iPad?

Joan

Here are some links to give you an idea of what is out there. Many more options.

AppStart: Best Word Processors: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide
Dropbox Text Editors for iOS: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide
GoogleDocs Managers: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide
iPad Apps For Writers: iPad/iPhone Apps AppList

Don't take the ranking too seriously. These apps are constantly one upping each other. That is especially true for the office suite apps like QuickOffice and Documents to Go.

Most reactions

Latest posts