What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

autocorrect 'x' not working

bonferonni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad for about three months now. A few weeks ago the 'x' next to the autocorrect bubble quit working. No matter where I touch on the screen, including the 'x', the autocorrect suggestion is chosen. I've turned the device off and then on, reset the user dictionary, checked to make sure the screen is calibrated, etc. No luck. I don't mind autocorrect, but I need the option to reject suggestions. Any ideas?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This won't help with the lost x, but you can disable auto-correct in Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Correction. I disable as it causes more problems than it worth, with it's predictions of what I want to say. It comes up with some of the stupidest things, totally changes what I wanted to say. Not to mention is slows down your typing.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should just be able to tap the autocorrect suggested word to disregard it.

OP
B

bonferonni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but tapping on the suggested word, the 'x', and anywhere else on the screen results in the suggested word being inserted. Just restored the ipad and then installed a back up. Still the same problem. Wondering if there is a software issue.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works fine on mine. It only uses the suggestion if I tap space or anywhere on the screen that isnt the suggested word.

Last edited:

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's only been 3 months, I say take back to apple store and see if they can fix it.

0biwan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fix what? lol

if it is not general it isn't neither a bug in sw or hardware so maybe that's a version problem...

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
0biwan said:
fix what? lol

if it is not general it isn't neither a bug in sw or hardware so maybe that's a version problem...

It's most likely a software problem. Things like this can happen, but usually it happens to windows. However, you might be able to fix it if you do a full restore but don't do the backup restore, as whatever setting was messed up could be put back on your device. You'd have to set it up as new and see what happens.

Reaction score
I've found it only happens on a few apps on mine. Diary XL being one of them. I don't remember any others off the top of my head but since I just used that one it came to mind. 99% of my X tapping works fine but those it doesn't work on I just press until the magnifier comes up and correct it.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

0biwan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as I've seen it's a app codding problem.

I only got this problem in some apps like you

Most reactions

Latest posts