What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad not working with my home wireless unit

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
My iPad won't work with wireless unit (belkin 54) at home. My wife's iPad works fine, as does an iPod touch, and laptop. I've just tried my iPad in MacDonalds and it connected fine over wi-fi. I have tried a network reset and that didn't fix things.
I have the wireless symbol up at the top of the screen ok. I have gone to the wireless network in settings - it is showing up there- but I look at the details I notice that the info such as ip address are different from those on my wife's iPad and the iPod touch, but I can't change them. Anybody got any ideas? Cheers, Dave

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
My iPad won't work with wireless unit (belkin 54) at home. My wife's iPad works fine, as does an iPod touch, and laptop. I've just tried my iPad in MacDonalds and it connected fine over wi-fi. I have tried a network reset and that didn't fix things.
I have the wireless symbol up at the top of the screen ok. I have gone to the wireless network in settings - it is showing up there- but I look at the details I notice that the info such as ip address are different from those on my wife's iPad and the iPod touch, but I can't change them. Anybody got any ideas? Cheers, Dave

The IP address will, of course, be different - this is the IP address of your iPad. If it's showing an IP address - say 192.168.1.x - or something similar, then it's managed to get an IP address from your router and that shows it's communicating with it. If the IP address is wildly different from this one, then there might be an issue.

When you go to 'Settings', 'WiFi' and you see your network there, is there a 'tick' symbol (✔) next to it? That tick is the network to which the iPad is currently connected. If there's a tick and you can see the WiFi signal fan on the iPad status line, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Tell us the details above and we'll see what we can do....of course, no account names or passwords, please....

Tim

OP
D

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. Yes there is a tick next to my network. I notice that the ip address is in the series 169. I understand this indicates an issue? As I mentioned previously my wife's iPad works fine (it has a valid ip of 192................)my wireless unit is a Belkin 54 802.1g.
Cheers
Dave

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. Yes there is a tick next to my network. I notice that the ip address is in the series 169. I understand this indicates an issue? As I mentioned previously my wife's iPad works fine (it has a valid ip of 192................)my wireless unit is a Belkin 54 802.1g.
Cheers
Dave

Yes - the 169 address means that the iPad has been unable to get an IP address from your router.

One quick suggestion. Tell the iPad to forget this connection and set it up again. This has helped several Members with similar problems.

Tim

OP
D

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Yes - the 169 address means that the iPad has been unable to get an IP address from your router.

One quick suggestion. Tell the iPad to forget this connection and set it up again. This has helped several Members with similar problems.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I tried that, but it came back with the 169......-again!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with that Belkin unit, but some WiFi devices have a limit on the number of simultaneous WiFi connections they can support. It might be worth turning off one of the other computers that are connected by WiFi to see if that has any effect.

Tim

OP
D

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm not very familiar with that Belkin unit, but some WiFi devices have a limit on the number of simultaneous WiFi connections they can support. It might be worth turning off one of the other computers that are connected by WiFi to see if that has any effect.

Tim

No progress I'm afraid Tim!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this on another site..it might be worth a try as I'm running out of ideas.....

"An iPad bought a few days ago connected fine to a Linksys (Cisco) router, then yesterday refused to negotiate a valid IP address via DHCP handshake. No amount of resetting, restarting, or rebooting--even restoring--either the router, cable modem, or iPad resulted in success. (This included forgetting networks and renewing leases.) All other devices in the network connected and re-connected flawlessly; conversely, the iPad would connect to other wi-fi networks.

The router was put through several changes, including choosing only 11g devices, and changing transmission channels & SSID names. Finally, what worked a mere seconds ago, was changing the security protocol from WPA2/AES+TKIP to WPA/TKIP (only). That kickstarted the iPad into a valid IP address. In a fit of impulsivity, I changed the security BACK to WPA2/AES+TKIP and then to AES (only), and the iPad continues to connect appropriately, even after awakening from sleep mode.

I'm not sure what happened, but my guess is that the IP lease expired, and the iPad refused to negotiate a new address with the router, until the security change forced something loose. In any case, this seems to be a prevalent issue, judging from the number and breadth of threads clamoring about this issue in many forms, so this just a note of what worked for me."

Tim

OP
D

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davethekeys said:

I was thinking of upgrading my wireless unit anyway, to N standard, would installing a new router help at all with my issue? Thanks Tim.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davethekeys said:

I was thinking of upgrading my wireless unit anyway, to N standard, would installing a new router help at all with my issue? Thanks Tim.

I don't think that this is the fundamental problem here - the iPad should work across the entire range of WiFi (802.11) standards. Did changing the encryption not work? I think we'll have to wait for other Members to contribute...

Tim

OP
D

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I don't think that this is the fundamental problem here - the iPad should work across the entire range of WiFi (802.11) standards. Did changing the encryption not work? I think we'll have to wait for other Members to contribute...

Tim

Tim
The encryption didn't work. However, in desperation I powered-off my Netgear modem, powered it back on and hey presto! The iPad found the correct ip settings etc straight away! Now working ok. Thanks for your help with this. Cheers, Dave.

Most reactions

Latest posts