What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asking for some help on behalf of my brother

sonofdeslynham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,

My brother has a serious brain injury. We bought him a iPad 2 (3G) for him as an aid to help him communicate. He cannot speak and only has the use of one arm so communicating is difficult. However the iPad has helped him overcome some of these difficulties.

Unfortunately I have discovered that his iPad does not power on anymore. The only way I can get any kind of display is by holding the top button and square home button on the front simultaneously.

This makes a balck screen with a battery symbol with a very thin red line appear at it's centre, alongside a picture of the charge cable.

I am attaching a picture of this to the post.

Any help or opinions on what I can do to get this fixed would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance to anyone who may help.

View attachment 63124
IMG_20150224_211233~2.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This looks like it needs to be charged. Plug it in and wait for maybe 10 minutes. If the situation doesn't change, try using a different cable and/or plug to charge the iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That screenshot is what you see if the battery charge drops down to 0% and the iPad has gone into low power shut down. If leaving it plugged into the charger for several hours makes no difference then either the iPad, charger, power outlet, or cable is faulty. First try a different outlet. If that doesn't work, try a different cable, then if that doesn't work, try using a different charger. If none of them work it's likely that you have a hardware fault in the iPad. A diagnostic test at the Genius Bar of the closest Apple Store would confirm this.

One last test you could try would be to connect the iPad to your computer with a known working cable. Unless you have a newer computer with a high power USB port, it could take several hours with the iPad asleep to charge sufficiently to turn on unless there's a hardware fault as I mentioned earlier.

BTW, I've moved your post to the iPad Help Forum where it will receive more attention.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts