1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Are you upset about this?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Fardog, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Fardog

Fardog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is quite a furor going on at Amazon about the pricing of Ken Follett's book, FALL OF GIANTS on Kindle. It is $ 19.99 for the Kindle and LESS for the hardcover. It is being trashed by reviewers for this reason. No one wants to pay more than $ 9.99 for an ebook. I agree.

My question, is the iPad crowd annoyed by this too? It is $ 19.99 I believe in the iBook store.
  2. 2ndsteel

2ndsteel iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    vote with your pocketbook

I have found the best way to protest high price is to not purchase it. The seller will quickly get the message. If you just hollar about the price and still buy it then the seller know's your not serious.
  3. matt_90036

matt_90036 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Better yet you find yourself another author. My used to be favorite author overpriced on books as well so after searching quite a bit and asking on forums I found myself James lee burke whose books are much better and cheaper to buy.
  4. danbee46

danbee46 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lately, a number of new books are priced high. Most often the price comes down after a few weeks or months.
  5. Aneteri

Aneteri iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That reminds me of a particular high priced tablet that I want.
  6. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +432 / 0
    What tablet is that if I may ask
  7. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The ebook pricing issue isn't that much different to digital music or film really - the pricing is all over the place while they work out how much people are willing to pay. I don't tend to buy that much digitally, when I can buy the physical item for the same or marginally more.

I bought Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld novel via amazon kindle as it was about £6, compared to £15 best price for the hardback. However, the iBook price was the same as the hardback, and Tesco eBook's was actually more than they sell the hardback for. I just irritates me as while digital distribution isn't free (hosting and bandwidth does cost money), it is still significantly cheaper than selling a 'real' book. Given there is also no second hand market for ebooks, the whole situation really annoys me.
  8. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the price is ok
  9. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    They set the price at what they think people will pay. Its a risk on their part to set it higher because people may rebel and refuse. Its does irritate me that ebooks are priced the way they are. The cost the publisher MUCH less to distribute than paper.

Then there is this paper book...
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3836500086/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_jdp_LT4Smb024TQK3]Amazon.com: Steve Schapiro, Taxi Driver (9783836500081): Paul Duncan, Steve Schapiro: Books[/ame]
  10. George Knighton

George Knighton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $19.99 does sound like a lot for an electronic book.

I can't think of any way to excuse that, and I would not buy it.

We're probably going to occasionally discover anomalies like this as the world gets used to the idea of e-books and the idea that the original publisher should handle the electronic release. That's probably where it went wrong...the publisher didn't release the e-book himself.