What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Apps open when I power up iPad?

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are all the apps I have "on" when I power up my iPad? If I double press the Home button after powering up, it seems like all my apps are along the bottom of the screen. If I hold one one them down they all show the re "-" symbol. If I then press that the icon disappears from the bottom row, but the app will still be on the desktop.

docvan

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is the recently used apps in the RAM, they are in an inactive state, you can delete them to free up memory.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've just done a restart, there will be no apps in RAM.

The list in the multitask bar is just that, a list of apps you've opened, with the most recently used fist. They do not go away unless you manually remove them. The apps listed may or may not be in RAM, though the most recent ones usually are in RAM in an inactive (frozen) state, as Followthesapper said.

If it has been a while since you restarted the iPad (and I mean a power down, not just put it to sleep) it is sometimes useful to manually close the more recent apps. Most of the time you do this when an app has been misbehaving. Occasionally it will be necessary to manually clear apps if you can not get a large app to work properly. That's mostly with the iPad 1.

If you are not having problems you can safely ignore the list of apps, other than using it to switch between recently opened ones.

Fraser Speirs - Blog - Misconceptions About iOS Multitasking
Fraser Speirs - Blog - iOS Multitasking in Detail

OP
Docvan

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you've just done a restart, there will be no apps in RAM.

The list in the multitask bar is just that, a list of apps you've opened, with the most recently used fist. They do not go away unless you manually remove them. The apps listed may or may not be in RAM, though the most recent ones usually are in RAM in an inactive (frozen) state, as Followthesapper said.

If it has been a while since you restarted the iPad (and I mean a power down, not just put it to sleep) it is sometimes useful to manually close the more recent apps. Most of the time you do this when an app has been misbehaving. Occasionally it will be necessary to manually clear apps if you can not get a large app to work properly. That's mostly with the iPad 1.

If you are not having problems you can safely ignore the list of apps, other than using it to switch between recently opened ones.

Fraser Speirs - Blog - Misconceptions About iOS Multitasking
Fraser Speirs - Blog - iOS Multitasking in Detail

Thanks for the instructional links re the multitask bar!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Hold in mind that there is disagreement on practices (if not the facts themselves), and while I've given you a what I consider a balanced view you will probably run into others that disagree.

Most reactions

Latest posts