Task killer

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by pauladev, Mar 8, 2011.

1. nickora

nickora
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    this scenario has been around before, I have a nokia s60 touchscreen that doesnt close the apps and has a similar "show all along the bottom and then hold each one to close blah blah takes forever so you dont bother and leave the internet running in the background and 3 hours later you have no battery..."

anyway point is that most of the apps for nokia have an option to 'exit' the app in the menu, why dont apple developers put this in the apps?

2. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    For 99c you can buy XSysInfo which will free up memory before you run a memory intensive app. Can't be bothered to tap on all those wriggly icons.

If you've been using the iPad for a while free memory can drop as low as 7mb. No wonder safari has to reload pages....

3. Tarkio

Tarkio
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    About a month ago my iPad wouldn't turn on. It was dead even though it had a full battery charge and had been running fine minutes before. I was 5-minutes from an Apple Store so I took it in thinking I had a repair issue.

After checking a few things the tech did some kind of hard restart by holding down both physical buttons. After a while the iPad fired up again. He said it was a RAM problem caused by too many apps in the freeze state. He said each one locked out a small amount of RAM so it could open more quickly.

He showed me how to close them down every so often, and do a restart to make sure all the RAM is recovered. I was told it was a common issue due to the small amount of RAM in the iPad 1.

4. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Remember the ram is shared with the graphics chip so you'll never see more than 130mb free at it's cleanest.......

5. pauladev

pauladev
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have not yet found out how to 'see' the available RAM. Grateful if you would enlighten me.

6. pauladev

pauladev
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This is the app I was looking for! I went for it, - not 99 cents for us privileged Brits, it cost £1.19 (which is $1.91), but from showing 6.6 Mb free memory, I cleaned and it jumped to 53 Mb.
    Just have to see if there are any adverse side effects now.

7. Nemesis

Nemesis
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It's interesting that I didn't even realize how horrible the multi-tasking feature is on the iPad until a few weeks ago. I would play games and use apps like normal without closing them down. Eventually (after having about 20-30 open simultaneously) I noticed my battery would drain faster than I could blink. We're talking 5-6 hours instead of 10-12 hours. After closing down all of the apps that were open, I was able to get MUCH better battery life.

It may freeze the state of the app, but running all of the apps in the background kills the battery like crazy over time. Apple should really implement some sort of "Kill All Apps" feature, so I don't have to painfully close each one.

8. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for this thread. I've been taken to school and learned a lot
    Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved.

9. saguaro

saguaro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The way I know how to do this is: jailbreak. In Cydia, install SBSettings. Within that, go to this screen:

Turn on Statusbar Free Mem (and date if desired).

You will then see this at the top of your screen:

mem1.jpg

If that last pic is not readable on here, it shows the date, time, and free memory in the top center.

10. pauladev

pauladev
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Jailbreak is definitely not for me. The point is, as Nemesis stressed, that Apple should have built a task killer into the system when multi task was introduced.
    Interesting how this thread has developed from assertions that the open apps use little power, to confirmation as I thought that keeping them open is a cumulative drain. Use of XSysInfo has definitely confirmed this for me as I have seen it drop as low as 3.9Mb and then up to 93 Mb when I clean up.