1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Apps update consequences

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Godfriend, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Godfriend

Godfriend iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you update your games you'll start afresh & sometimes updates fail
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    Depends on the developer, mostly, and whether you're simply updating or re-installing.

Deleting and reinstalling a game will often result in the loss of game scores, whatever. Update almost never do, though I'm sure there are exceptions. I've never lost game data from an update. I've had to start over on any number because I've done a clean restore on the device, or deleted and reinstalled the game. Even restoring from a backup doesn't always help, because it's up to the developer to make sure game data is part of the backup.

All of my game data survived the iOS 7 update, btw. Then again, I used the Over The Air (OTA) update. If that had failed I might have had to do a full re-intall of the system, and I expect I'd have lost at least some of my game data.