What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App Store app and its Updates screen

Siouxaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, me again...

In iOS6, the Updates list used to disappear after you had Updated All your apps.
Since iOS 7 I've noticed that the Updates view now retains the updates in the list. I have updates which I have downloaded/installed dating back to 19th Sept 2013 but they still appear on the list albeit with an OPEN button. Tapping on the OPEN button opens the updated App but the update remains on the list.

I was just wondering do these retained app updates take up any space? Should I be worried about storage on iPad for the forthcoming months/years
After what amount of time do the updates start to disappear from the list?

Any ideas iPad Gurus?

Thanks in advance
Sioux

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that the updates will begin to disappear after about two weeks, so your first updates should start self deleting soon.

As for them taking up space, they are purely notifications so if they do take up any space then it will be a tiny amount so nothing to worry about.

The Archangel

OP
Siouxaj

Siouxaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that the updates will begin to disappear after about two weeks, so your first updates should start self deleting soon. As for them taking up space, they are purely notifications so if they do take up any space then it will be a tiny amount so nothing to worry about. The Archangel

Thanks for the reassurance Gabriel1

Sioux

Prb2414

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Glad to hear they will start self deleting soon.

agreenberg19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that the updates will begin to disappear after about two weeks, so your first updates should start self deleting soon. As for them taking up space, they are purely notifications so if they do take up any space then it will be a tiny amount so nothing to worry about. The Archangel

I contacted Apple and got a response from Customer 'Support' (ha) that I needed to contact the technical support team for the answer. It's a sad day when a company like Apple gives us the run-around instead of answering the customers' plea for help. Thank YOU for YOUR support.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I contacted Apple and got a response from Customer 'Support' (ha) that I needed to contact the technical support team for the answer. It's a sad day when a company like Apple gives us the run-around instead of answering the customers' plea for help. Thank YOU for YOUR support.

Well, there's a parallel thread running on this same topic (HERE) that I just left a post (and probably others?) - is this behavior a meant feature, a 'bug', or something 'in-between'? :D

Unfortunately, complaints here will do little good since the forum is not sponsored or supported by Apple - but, feedback to Apple can be left HERE - just sent a message - will it do any good - probably not but who knows? Dave :)

agreenberg19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, there's a parallel thread running on this same topic (HERE) that I just left a post (and probably others?) - is this behavior a meant feature, a 'bug', or something 'in-between'? :D Unfortunately, complaints here will do little good since the forum is not sponsored or supported by Apple - but, feedback to Apple can be left HERE - just sent a message - will it do any good - probably not but who knows? Dave :)

Ok. I fixed the problem based on the comment about waiting 2 weeks. On the iPad, I went to Settings/General/Date & Time and changed the date to Dec. 14 (just an arbitrary date in the future), went back to the App Store app/Updates, and all that history was gone. I then reset the date to today and the history is still gone.

35 years of computer programming and problem solving to the rescue ... And thanks for the suggestion.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose, if you consider it a problem. I'm liking the update history. Use to be that if I forgot to check what an update was about before tapping Update, I had to go back to the App Store and read it there. It's also a quick way to see what's been updated recently if you have automatic updates enabled.

The list is unlikely to take up more than a few KB of space, so as long as it cleans it self up in a reasonable number of days or weeks, I'm good with it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose, if you consider it a problem. I'm liking the update history. Use to be that if I forgot to check what an update was about before tapping Update, I had to go back to the App Store and read it there. It's also a quick way to see what's been updated recently if you have automatic updates enabled.

The list is unlikely to take up more than a few KB of space, so as long as it cleans it self up in a reasonable number of days or weeks, I'm good with it.

Hi TP - excellent point - I did not enable this feature but now might as well (don't believe that in the past I ever 'refused' an update!) - for those who may want to enable 'automatic updates' - go into Settings > iTunes & App Store - then toggle your preferences (as shown below - screen shot from the web) - Dave :)

Updates_SShot.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've enabled the automatic updates, but I'm slightly nervous about it. It's rare, but I've seen an update or two come through and break an app until it's fixed and updated again. I chose to enable anyway, because very little I do on the iPad is vital, and most of those things (like Evernote, Dropbox, this forum) can be accessed by other means than the apps.

So, for me, the convenience is worth the risk of updating without waiting/checking for problems first.

Most reactions

Latest posts