What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Bit of a newbie here with Apple gear!!
Managed to get the Apple TV working on iTunes via the computer and also with the "remote" app on my iphone and ipad, I can't seem to get it stream anything with the iPad,(computer on or off) it doesn't seem to recognise it's on the network. I've checked the router and it's registered. Am I missing something in the setup or just doing something stupid?
Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help

Gerry N

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Griz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you saying that you can't get anything to play on your iPad 2 using the Apple TV "box"?

For example, I use an iPad 2 and an Apple TV "box" hooked up to my 62" HD TV. Now, I can either watch NetFlix OR Apple TV on my big TV or I can watch movies on my iPad 2 or my big screen TV. Anything that will "play" on the iPad 2 can be broadcast wirelessly to the TV.

I hope this is of some help to you but if not, please be a little more specific in what you need help with.

All the best,

Bud

Bit of a newbie here with Apple gear!!
Managed to get the Apple TV working on iTunes via the computer and also with the "remote" app on my iphone and ipad, I can't seem to get it stream anything with the iPad,(computer on or off) it doesn't seem to recognise it's on the network. I've checked the router and it's registered. Am I missing something in the setup or just doing something stupid?
Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help

Gerry N

Markswheels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There should be a new symbol on your iPhone or iPad. It looks like a rectangle with an arrow/carrot looking thing inside. You need to tap that and direct your output to apple tv.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Have you signed into homesharing using the same account on all devices, including the atv?

Are all devices connected to the same network?

If the two answers are yes, then remote should automatically find your atv.

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
DefBref said:
Have you signed into homesharing using the same account on all devices, including the atv?

Are all devices connected to the same network?

If the two answers are yes, then remote should automatically find your atv.

Do I need to have the computer on when using the iPad with AirPlay?

I have double checked the settings on the computer, iPad and atv and all are the same. I have looked in some help videos and found what I should have on the playback icon and all I can see is the slider bar for stopping the video etc, no icon to the right to send the output to the atv.
I presume that the only place to setup home sharing on the iPad is in settings/iPod?.?
I've been trying for close on 5 hours now and am completely bald with hair all over the floor.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You don't need your computer on unless your trying to AirPlay something from it.

Is your iPad running the latest update? Same for atv.

Are you definitely on the same network?

How and what exactly are you trying to AirPlay, perhaps it's something in how you are doing it.

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
DefBref said:
You don't need your computer on unless your trying to AirPlay something from it.

How and what exactly are you trying to AirPlay, perhaps it's something in how you are doing it.

I'm running 4.3.3 (8J2) on the iPad and did a software update on the atv ( it said I have latest version). I have just managed to get a song playing after seeing the icon next to the sound control in the iPod app for the first time, i switched to apple TV and it played for about 10seconds and cut out that was about 45 mins ago, since then I rebooted the iPad and the router and unplugged the atv for a couple of mins; zilch again
BTW thanks for your help with my problem, I've had a look at some videos on YouTube and can't see that I'm doing anything wrong, maybe I'm doing something stupid with the iPad, I can't see any settings in the settings menu for AirPlay, should there be any? Or do I need to download an app? Everything works fine on the computer

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong.

No need for any other apps, if your atv and iPad are on the same network and homesharing enabled, the AirPlay button should appear against compatible media.

I wonder if it's a router problem?

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
DefBref said:

Hi yet again

Just read on the net lots of people have the same problem with a wifi connection and someone solved it by using a LAN connection and it solved the problem; just connected a CAT5 and eureka it works, maybe it may be put right in iOS5???

Most reactions

Latest posts