What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple to Launch Two New iPads in January?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iWorld.JPG

Following on from recent news that Apple might possibly be thinking of releasing a new iPad on what would have been Steve Jobs birthday, February 24, Digitimes has a very interesting report today, stating that according to its sources at Apple’s supply chain partners, Apple will be announcing not one, but two new iPads at the iWorld event on January 26, 2012. According to the report, the new models will be aimed at the mid-range and high-end corners of the market, with the iPad 2, and presumably the original iPad, then being pitched at the more price-sensitive area of the market.

Digitimes’ sources say that both of the new models will have 9.7-inch screens, along with QXGA resolution of 1,536x2,048 pixels. The sources also say that both models will have Dual-LED light bars which are designed to make the panels even brighter. Sharp is said to be the main manufacturer of panels for both devices, with Samsung and LG also being involved. Minebea is said to be making backlight units.

As far as the new iPads’ processors are concerned, Digitimes says that Samsung will be making a quad-core A5 processor for the devices. The new iPads are also said to have batteries made by Simplo Technology and Dynapack International Technology with a capacity as much as 14,000 milliampere-hour.

All very exciting stuff, and we don’t have too long to wait to find out if its true!

Source: Apple to unveil two versions of next-generation iPad in January, sources claim

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Not gonna happen, imo. Apple wants to simplify the ipad and having more than 1 ipad in terms of model/specs would be mega-confusing for the average consumer.

Sent from the Droid... The one you were looking for...

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
Not gonna happen, imo. Apple wants to simplify the ipad and having more than 1 ipad in terms of model/specs would be mega-confusing for the average consumer.

Sent from the Droid... The one you were looking for...

Hi guy, I agree with you ... I can see for enterprise and graphic designers the need or desire for higher resolution. I can also see the want for a better camera ... It is so slick to take a photo and share it. But, battery life and weight are key design issues as is price. The higher end performance demand folks will pay the price. The iPad2 is great for the average folks. Siri will be coming as Apple is focused on iCloud sync and streaming.

Apple seems to be dropping the DVD and CD disk drives ... Thus iCloud focus. It is a big business decision to lock consumers into the infrastructure.
FWIW IMHO

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Hi guy, I agree with you ... I can see for enterprise and graphic designers the need or desire for higher resolution. I can also see the want for a better camera ... It is so slick to take a photo and share it. But, battery life and weight are key design issues as is price. The higher end performance demand folks will pay the price. The iPad2 is great for the average folks. Siri will be coming as Apple is focused on iCloud sync and streaming.

Apple seems to be dropping the DVD and CD disk drives ... Thus iCloud focus. It is a big business decision to lock consumers into the infrastructure.
FWIW IMHO

I forgot to mention medical, mapping, and pilot logs, etc are significant applications for higher resolutions.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there still hope of them porting Siri to iPad 2? If so I'll skip the iPad 3 n get hotspot in my iPhone 4 saves me 700 bucks!!

riverforton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally think they are just gonna drop the iPad 2 to $200 to compete with the Kindle Fire and then release the iPad 3 at regular price. As well as have the iPad 3 available for network coverage on Sprint. Another "prediction" I have heard is that apple will soon by out Sprint, or at least create their own cell phone company through Sprint's CDMA network as a pre-pay service just like Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile. I believe this could be true because as we know apple they don't like having a middle man, they sure enough have the money to buy out Sprint. Or at least run the pre-pay service.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
riverforton said:
I personally think they are just gonna drop the iPad 2 to $200 to compete with the Kindle Fire and then release the iPad 3 at regular price. As well as have the iPad 3 available for network coverage on Sprint. Another "prediction" I have heard is that apple will soon by out Sprint, or at least create their own cell phone company through Sprint's CDMA network as a pre-pay service just like Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile. I believe this could be true because as we know apple they don't like having a middle man, they sure enough have the money to buy out Sprint. Or at least run the pre-pay service.

From 830.00 to 200.00 I doubt it!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

rizkyrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm so glad they will be the same size because i have this really kick but ipad sling case and i really would love to use it.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if they lower the price of ipad2 that means that our resale value of our ipad2 will be not much . that sucks because I would like to my ipad2 to get a iPad 3

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

lisaa571

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really hope they DO drop the price!! Then i can afford 2 get an ipad2!!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
From 830.00 to 200.00 I doubt it!!!

That would soooooooooooo not be cool. I paid 747.93. I really can't see apple lowering the iPad 3 price to 399 anyway. Why mess with a good thing. The Kindle fire is nice. I must admit, but I think what separates Apple's marketability from every one mobile os system is the app store. No one else offers half the apps that apple has (half of them are bottled and Jane but they are available nonetheless.) at 499+, iPad 2s are still selling. Our family just bought 2 for my grandparents. Pricey but worth it. With the revolutionary advancements (quad processor, 4g, and larger res), no way 399+ is the opening price. 449 is fine. I'm a reasonable consumer.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
That would soooooooooooo not be cool. I paid 747.93. I really can't see apple lowering the iPad 3 price to 399 anyway. Why mess with a good thing. The Kindle fire is nice. I must admit, but I think what separates Apple's marketability from every one mobile os system is the app store. No one else offers half the apps that apple has (half of them are bottled and Jane but they are available nonetheless.) at 499+, iPad 2s are still selling. Our family just bought 2 for my grandparents. Pricey but worth it. With the revolutionary advancements (quad processor, 4g, and larger res), no way 399+ is the opening price. 449 is fine. I'm a reasonable consumer.

Yup!!! Especially not iPad 3!!! 2 might go down a bit as did 1 on the AT&T wireless site.

Most reactions

Latest posts