What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Releases Update 5.0.1 to Everyone - Includes Bug Fixes and Battery Improvements

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ios-5-update.jpg

Apple will be sending the the 5.0.1 iOS update OTA starting today to everyone. This is the same update we shared with you previously that was being seeded to testers and select folks with battery problems. The Apple support blog shares the following on the update:

• This update contains improvements and other bug fixes including:
  • Fixes bugs affecting battery life
  • Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad
  • Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud
  • Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
    Products compatible with this software update:
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 3GS
  • iPad 2
  • iPad
  • iPod touch (4th generation)
  • iPod touch (3rd generation)
To get the update you can either wait for it OTA on your iPhone, or you can log into iTunes and do it manually. Keep in mind that you don't want to get this update if you have a Jailbroken phone as it will erase your Jailbreak.

Source: Apple Support

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed their 3G signal strength improving on iPhone and iPad since the update. Getting more bars on my iPhone 4.

Sent from my Tricked Out, SparklyPink Hearts Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

dante146

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup. The battery life issue is still not been fixed with the update. A lot of people are facing battery issues even after the update and apple is like "we are looking into the matter".

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Martin.D said:
would really like to know if anyone else is not seeing improvements on the battery life? I feel the battery life is still being drained by something...

No battery life is still the same it at least I don't notice any difference.

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 3GS got a lot worse. :(
My Ipad 2 is ok but the 3GS dropped 36% in 2 hours. I unplugged it at 7 and when I looked at 9 it was %50. I figured it got unplugged in the night some how but after it dropped in 2 hours after I'm not so sure.
I hope they fix this fast. I'll be calling Apple.

iPam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Martin.D said:
would really like to know if anyone else is not seeing improvements on the battery life? I feel the battery life is still being drained by something...

I agree I don't see any change

kenmla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery life still a problem --- the recent software update did not fix it.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tjwhyte said:
I agree I don't see any change

nope...

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

ssbib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are people referring to battery life on the iPhone 4S? My battery (on iPhone) is about the same after the update. I get about 30 hours of standby and 4-5 hours of usage from a full charge. Has anyone noticed if this new update affects iPad 2 performance. I'm always sceptical about downloading updates as they usually mess everything up. I don't want to ruin my iPad. Should I download or ignore it?

macdaddio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had issues with my IPad 2 once i upgraded to the IOS5 and had nothing but problems, when I took it to the Apple store they swapped it over for brand new one and told me not to upgrade to IOS5 until they tell us that they have fixed all the problems.
I am bit gun shy now to up grade to the new IOS5 incase I get the same issues that caused me grief before..

camaroz1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my ipad1 second hand, and updated to 5.0 as soon as I got it, and was very impressed with the battery life, but it seems worse after the update to 5.0.1. I used to be able to go a full week on a charge for normal use (watch ESPN, play games, browse web, fiancee watched full 2 hour episode of Dancing with the Stars on ABC Player, etc.). After updating to 5.0.1 after just one evening (and no streaming video) I was down to 72%. I will keep an eye on it and see how long it lasts to empty, but I'm thinking it is worse.

ssbib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate it when this type of stuff happens. Nearly every time I've downloaded an update for ANYTHING it seems to make it worse. I've got IOS5 for my iPad and it's ok but I don't think I'll upgrade to 5.01 if you guys are saying its worse. Apple needs to get its sh*t together.

Most reactions

Latest posts