What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
noddy said:
I'll bust it open tomorrow night then. I need to make sure it's ok by this Thursday as the 14 days are up then

No, it's really not that big a deal. As soon as you open it, take it into a dark area and turn it on. Hold your breath. ;-) You will see a very dark screen with a cable on it... look at the edges all around. A little bleeding is OK, that shouldn't bother you. However, if you see a considerable amount of light, that's what you don't want. You should know within 10 seconds of turning it on. Also, these screens are seldom *perfect.*

A little bleeding shouldn't bother you at all and you will still get beautiful, vibrant colors. If worse comes to worse, rest assured that Apple will take care of you...

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'll do that tonight. Hopefully, I can update my new toy and my iPhone with iOS 5 this evening as well!
Thanks all for the reassurances.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
noddy said:
Ok, I'll do that tonight. Hopefully, I can update my new toy and my iPhone with iOS 5 this evening as well!
Thanks all for the reassurances.

Well noddy, give us the good news! :)

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
noddy said:
Hi, new to this forum having found it on the App Store

I bought a new ipad2 last Thursday (26th May) from the Apple Store in Birmingham. They have literally been havin deliveries every morning and selling out by midday, so I'm confident it's not old stock.
I haven't opened it yet due to work commitments. Ive just found this thread and wasn't aware of the screen issue.
I have to say, I'm tempted to take it back for a refund, as I'm frightened to open the box and check it! I'm a fussy person and my usual thing is to scrutinise new purchases for marks, scratches, imperfections etc. Now this!

Not an issue with my iPad 2. Listen to half of what nay-sayers have to say and then only believe half of that. Open the box and smell the roses.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ubkc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
very disappointed

I got my Ipad 2 64g white from best buy a week ago. I noticed back light and a missing pixel so I contacted apple support immediately and they recommended that I mail it back to them and that they would send me another one.I requested that they send me a new one as the one i was sending was brand new..they assured me that even the refurbished ones are are as good as new and that the unit that I would be receiving would be thoroughly checked. So i was ok with that.
I received a 'thoroughly checked unit' today and much to my disappointment the back light issue is so much worse. It looks as though someone pressed one side on the LCD screen so hard that the liquid on that side is all smashed up,plus there is a missing pixel. i did not even bother hooking it to i tunes.I called apple support and initially they said that the ipad 2 i had was registered to someone else...then they asked me to send it back.
It is appalling that these guys are circulating defective Ipad 2s.Moreover these are not cheap!! they should just issue a recall and exchange for new ones,ESPECIALLY IF THEY CANNOT FIX THE ISSUE.
How can you replace a brand new Ipad with a refurbished one!!that is just not right!!!
it's like giving someone a used (refurbished) hip joint or used knee joint for knee/hip replacement..would anyone at apple be ok with that?!!!

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Usually the service from Apple is outstanding, but there seem to be glaring exceptions. Good Luck with the next one...

v0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny I was told my a genius today that there was nothing wrong with my iPad and that they all have blight bleeding issues.

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
v0n said:
Funny I was told my a genius today that there was nothing wrong with my iPad and that they all have blight bleeding issues.

You have been misinformed.

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took mine in yesterday and they looked it over and agreed it was unacceptable. They didn't have any in stock so agreed to extend my 14 days returns policy till 18th July which means when it does come to replacement I get a brand new one and not just a service repair.

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
info said:
No, it's really not that big a deal. As soon as you open it, take it into a dark area and turn it on. Hold your breath. ;-) You will see a very dark screen with a cable on it... look at the edges all around. A little bleeding is OK, that shouldn't bother you. However, if you see a considerable amount of light, that's what you don't want. You should know within 10 seconds of turning it on. Also, these screens are seldom *perfect.*

A little bleeding shouldn't bother you at all and you will still get beautiful, vibrant colors. If worse comes to worse, rest assured that Apple will take care of you...

I am so glad I saw this post I never knew a thing about bleeding. I will be checking as soon as mine arrives tomorrow I hope. Thanks for the info 

Forrest_Gimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This reminds me of the problems I had with my very first flatscreen, about ten years ago. What the heck? I thought those heavy lightbleeding-issues were a matter of the past.....

Even my cheap netbook displays black bootscreens without getting lighter around the edges!

Tokkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know who the actual panel-supplier is? I've heard that Apple is currently changing from supplier, but who is the supplier that produces these faulty panels?

v0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don9307 said:
You have been misinformed.

I know but I didn't feel the need to argue simply because they are Apple and I believe they will take care of me one way or another.

Also they always send a feedback request. Following my feedback submission they called me the same day to tell me that they'll let me know when they have my model in stock and that they'll check for light bleeding issues. If I feel that the one I currently have has less light bleeding then the new one they'll let me keep it and let me know when there is another one in stock.

Simply put by the store manager: "I want your complete satisfaction."

And that is my understanding of the name Apple.

Most reactions