What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Maps to Undergo Complete Redesign “From the Ground Up”

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Apple to completely revamp Apple Maps.jpeg

Apple has today announced that it is in the process of completely rebuilding Apple Maps, writes TechCrunch. The new version has been built using first-party data obtained from iPhones and also from Apple’s own special fleet of cars that have been kitted out with sensors and cameras.

The new maps are set to launch first in San Francisco, then in the Bay Area, via the next iOS 12 Beta, coming to the whole of Northern California by fall.

The updated maps, which will eventually roll out all over the world, will respond more quickly to changes in roads and construction, and will also be more visually detailed, depending on the location, with more detailed ground cover, foliage, pools, pedestrian walkways, and so on.

Four years of work have already gone into the new maps. Apple’s aim is to eventually no longer have to rely on third-party data for its maps, and instead use entirely its own data.

“Since we introduced this 6 years ago – we won’t rehash all the issues we’ve had when we introduced it – we’ve done a huge investment in getting the map up to par,” Apple SVP Eddy Cue told TechCrunch. “When we launched, a lot of it was all about directions and getting to a certain place. Finding the place and getting directions to that place. We’ve done a huge investment of making millions of changes, adding millions of locations, updating the map and changing the map more frequently. All of those things over the past 6 years.

“We wanted to take this to the next level,’ Cue added. “We have been working on trying to create what we hope is going to be the best map app in the world, taking it to the next step. That is building all of our own map data from the ground up.”

Source: Apple is rebuilding Maps from the ground up

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple is using a Subaru XV to Create Apple Maps in Brisbane, Australia

I was driving into Brisbane City (Australia) today when a White Subaru XV with a tall post on the roof came in from the left-hand side on the western freeway. This is Apple's new Mapping vehicles for updating Apple Maps I have posted a short video taken from my Dod Dash Cam. On the top of the post, there is a high-speed spinning camera below that are several cameras pointing a full 360
I realize the white car is in front of the black vehicle but at the start, you can clearly see the camera pod. I have attached a still frame from the video for a closer look at the car
The article below explains more.

Apple begins using smaller Subaru cars to capture Apple Maps data
https://goo.gl/q1H6Q8

Still image taken from Dod cam

Attachments

• subaru.jpg
    subaru.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is it about Apple Maps that isn't working for you?

I suspect that apple maps are North America centric, certainly in Australia they are nowhere near as accurate as google maps; the result is that they are not used and get little or no feedback that might help them improve. Very much a case of second to the market and always in catchup mode. Why else would apple be looking at a ground up rebuild?

Most reactions

Latest posts