What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple hurting Adobe?

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4phun .sir you have hit it on the head about the Adobe ..they do not want to go forward in the next step in the smart hand held device world of computering ..they can not figure that one out then they do not need to be in the market and need to go die off somewhere and be quiet about it..

it about the future and the future use of the small hand held computer system that are going to be comeing out in the next years by all the major players in the computer companys..

Apple has beaten them to the punch on this and soon as the whole figures this out Adobe will no longer have a chance for the companys are going to be dumping the adobe set up a more compact stream line O.S system to work in the future system..

H.P has done everything in it power to get the ipad and iphone shoot down with as many as they can bad reviews about the ipad ..

they are just -p---- off that apple has beaten them to the punch along with they are takeing the lion share of the market away form the cellphone companys with the apple iphone and now with the launch of the ipad ..every computer company out there is scambleing to get some form of a tablet out and onto the market to get a piece of the pie ..

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's still being drafted and isn't even at the canidate stage. 2020 at best. Apple pushing it like this may help speed things up with more public preasure but there are still lots of things that need to be done. Has the h.264 VS. .Ogg codac fight been resolved?

If I were Adobe I'd be putting some effort into finding ways to protech HTML and Javascript code. That goes against the idea of HTML being open to all, but it's something some current Flash venues are used to, being able to hide in code and functions from easy access my end user. A thought, an Adobe decryptor or key plug-in on Mac/PC, or a Browser App that contains the key/decryptor on Mobile. No other processing then that and let the native rendering engine to the work (be it gecko or WebKit). Also easy enough to have it spit out detection code to have an iPad or iPod open the "Adobe" viewer when it gets to a page that needs it.

I hand realized Apple was being very bitch about the new multi-tasking APIs. Why not just prevent non-open wrapper Apps from multi-tasking at all. Although I guess that would make users confused... perhaps mark them in GUI to indicate lack of Multi-tasking support so the user knows that it'll take all the resources and completly close when left.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much you wanna bet someone will come up with a way to side load an app creating outside of the sdk into it to spoof creation.

Only allowing iPhone sdk for creation is a really stupid move on apples part. They basically just eliminated windows developers from the market. Not smart.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a very complicated process that requires as much the art of divining as the skill of programming, Apple has learned some bitter lessons about telling too much, too soon. Other fields and manufacturers have learned the hard way about being too open with new products. For one thing, anything that is not tied down in patets, can be a source of lawsuites from many of the leeches.

Right or wrong, Apple has come to the conclusion that they must make a break from flash, and they are trying to keep from any way of having to deal with it because they think it will decrease customer experience. And the public does not understand the difference between flash and flash based. Apple is releasing the iPad now, but they are thinking about the iPad/iPhone of five years from now.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a very complicated process that requires as much the art of divining as the skill of programming, Apple has learned some bitter lessons about telling too much, too soon. Other fields and manufacturers have learned the hard way about being too open with new products. For one thing, anything that is not tied down in patets, can be a source of lawsuites from many of the leeches.

Right or wrong, Apple has come to the conclusion that they must make a break from flash, and they are trying to keep from any way of having to deal with it because they think it will decrease customer experience. And the public does not understand the difference between flash and flash based. Apple is releasing the iPad now, but they are thinking about the iPad/iPhone of five years from now.

my gf tried to show me a really bad template based hotel website this morning on my iPad and it didn't show the bad flash portion, she said, are they going to allow flash...it's basically on every website....doh...face palm.

Adobe really has brainwashed the masses.... :(

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve Jobs sent an e-mail to someone that got reported. The two main reasons he mentioned for what was put out, was that any time you have a cross platform used to move apps over several devices, it always slows the process down. Adding layers to programming never speeds things up. The other issue, is that if such a platform gets really popular, and Apple makes some major upgrades to the iPhone, it may keep apps from being usable because the update is not compatible with the cross platform.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think when...and it is only a matter of time "when" Flash play will convert to html5 play, there will be iPad haters that will reluctantly give due props to Apple for changing the game of mobile computing once again. The day the iPad can reach every site with ease...will be a welcome time to witness the very vocal objectors of today, quietly purchase,use and promote the very device that has uber possibilities that have not yet been realized!

What a time to be alive and know a device in it's earliest form already generates such massive game changing potential in it's rookie season!

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has often been the first computer company to drop obsolete technologies. And every time, the complaints are loud and clear. Floppies, serial ports, printer ports, etc. The were the only company that successfully produced an all-in-one computer. The programs and technologies that they created are responsible for most of our improvements in the field. Not all their products were winners, but without Apple, and Steve Jobs, our lives would not be as rich. Adobe has also produced some products that have moved computing forward, but lately their emphasis has been on adding features to already obsolete programs. That goes completely against the basic tenet of Apple which is Keep It Simple.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fact is that flash is a dead horse and Adobe needs to stop beating it.

This. Flash is a horse that should have been put down long ago were it not already dead. It's a resource-hogging, kludgy piece of crap that's long past it's sell-by date. Laptops, let alone the iPad are going smaller and thinner; if you want halfway decent battery life, Flash has got to go. Other than some online games like FarmVille and the few remaining Flash splash pages left in the wild (thankfully, an endangered species now), what do you need Flash for anymore?

I agree with you for technical reasons. You see I know it is not possible to have a ten hour battery life in a lite weight hand held which also does Flash.

Further more the issue of Apple banning code developed by an Adobe tool is not meant to hurt Adobe but to protect their new multitasking structure they have developed for the iPhone/iPad.

If someone feels outrage over this it is a sign of foolishness instead of clear thinking. They can not have it both ways.

If they do not value the freedom from a bag full of batteries and the constant need to recharge every few hours with an attached wire then they should move on and choose a non Apple product. No one is going to miss them among those who value what Apple has created with the iPad.

Excellent statement I could not have done better myself

colin

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has often been the first computer company to drop obsolete technologies. And every time, the complaints are loud and clear. Floppies, serial ports, printer ports, etc. The were the only company that successfully produced an all-in-one computer. The programs and technologies that they created are responsible for most of our improvements in the field. Not all their products were winners, but without Apple, and Steve Jobs, our lives would not be as rich. Adobe has also produced some products that have moved computing forward, but lately their emphasis has been on adding features to already obsolete programs. That goes completely against the basic tenet of Apple which is Keep It Simple.

I agree with you, let give you my example in years 1989/90, i start run a small company we start to grow we need computer for manage: order, accounting, stock, customer … so we take a look at what exist (i never use computer before)

I take a look at MS based system but no software available need to hire someone wrote the software for you and look like too complicated.. i go to mac they have all in one software including accounting (Ciel) … so i bough 1 Mac LCII, and 1 Mac Classic (classic color later) , and little later powerbook 100 (later 160)

And now i use MBP and iMac 27’’, iPhone 3Gs , iPad …. I have see in the past how photoshop is a great products , but from the CS4 i try to don’t use it as too many option but not the one i need (like rotate a calque) … i dislike flash because too many web site use it for AD with loud music every time i arrive in one like that i close the tab and move around

I am not a programmer, or a Nerd i am just a computer user and i just want machine work fine the more fast as it’s possible … and i don’t want to have anti-virus, anti bootcode, anti-that, anti-this …

No more later than yesterday, one of my friend call me saying sorry for the spam my machine send you, i got a virus … some hour later he text me saying : i have to re install all my PC due to so many virus inside … WHO NEED TO DO THE SAME IN MAC , i never heard someone have to do it

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Running Flash on my laptop is not that big of a deal since 80% of the time when I use my laptop it is plugged into the AC outlet. I dont even realize any issues with the battery drain using Flash. NOW, if Flash is going to zap 50% of my battery life on my iPad then that will be an issue and im glad Apple is not going to allow this. I use my iPad 99.9% on battery and defiantly do not want to worry about continually charging it because Flash killed my battery. It would be great if web sites were designed to direct HTML5 to portable units and Flash to non-portable. But then again, make life simple get rid of Flash and make HTML the standard. I dont really see any difference between Flash vs HTML until i start expanding the viewing window and it's barley a difference. I cant figure out why Adobe cant get Flash to use less draw.. I would think they would be working their tail end off to make this happen... Can anyone explain why Flash kills the battery???:confused:

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sitting here watch TV, when one of those insipid Windows 7 commercials come on. and this ditz says how she was thinking and realized that computer use should be simple. Then she says Microsoft comes out with Windows 7 and it was her idea. And I am here thinking that she should have said "So I got a Mac."

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rumor: Adobe Prepping Lawsuit Against Apple [Flash]

In a report about Adobe's SEC filing, under the worse case scenario, Adobe has admitted that Apple's refusal to deal with flash could hurt them badly. More and more customers are abandoning flash for other resources. With the the exclusion of the Adobe upcoming CS5 in any upcoming apps, Adobe is going to have to go back to the drawing board.:confused:

Nah they will try to beat Apple with lawyers....

Rumor: Adobe Prepping Lawsuit Against Apple [Flash]

from Gizmodo by Adam Frucci

This whole Apple/Adobe spat is about to get a lot uglier, according to IT World. Their sources say Adobe is prepping for a major lawsuit against Apple in the coming weeks. More »

Most reactions