What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to sync just one section with iTunes?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When an iPad is connected to iTunes on a laptop (auto-sync is disabled), is there any way to sync only one section, on demand, without going through the whole sync procedure? So for example, if you've added a couple of tunes, any way to just sync songs to the iPad; or if you've just changed something in the calendar, any way to just sync the Calendar part, etc.?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I suggest is to turn off auto-syncing altogether. To do, open iTunes preferences, it is in the iTunes menu. Go to the Devices tab and turn off auto-syncing.

This way, when you connect the iPad to iTunes, it won't sync and you control it. If you decide to sync because you've changed something, then you can hit the sync button manually.

Maybe this'll help?

Marilyn

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you referring to the "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" setting (I'm using the old layout)? That's been checked since day one. The device does sync on demand; however, I've noticed that even on demand, everything gets synced. What I'd like to have is something like "sync calendar now", "sync tunes now", etc. Is this not supported? (Also, seems that there's no way to get around the automatic backup during the first sync on a day - also time consuming, when you don't need it.)

On a related note... Will app sync always re-install apps that have been previously removed from an iPad? This is kind of annoying. The workaround I use here is disabling app sync and just using "Transfer purchases" if I want to backup apps from the iPad to the computer.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. I've never noticed that behavior (of everything syncing). I just use the sync button on the page I'm changing, which is usually Music, if anything. And, I've not noticed the auto-backup, either.

Well, that was my shot at a fix. I don't use syncing, TBH, mainly because I don't like iTunes's behavior if I go outside my "norm" - I only do "transfer purchases" and self-initiated backups. And, my auto-sync is turned off, also. So, if it still does the stuff you describe after being turned off - well then, now I am reminded why I don't sync. :)

And, yeah, I've noticed that iTunes puts deleted apps back on the iPad after a sync. Which annoying and yet another reason why I don't sync...! And, no, I don't know why it does that, either.

So, I've not been of help. Sorry. But - I can commiserate with you. Maybe someone else will be along who has a better idea about iTunes and syncing.

Marilyn

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you on Mac or Windows? Maybe it behaves differently on different platforms (just like the annoying reboot required after iTunes update on Windows, which I hear isn't required on a Mac). Another annoyance is, when I change something in the settings in the main part of the window (e.g. enable wifi sync or any other setting), and I have to click the Apply button at the bottom right, sync will also be executed.

Actually I'm quite satisfied with how efficient syncing of Calendar and Contacts is (with Microsoft Outlook). I've always been extremely skeptical about these things (given the mixed experience I got with first-gen H/PC Velo 1, a Pocket-PC, early non-smart Nokia and Sony-Ericsson phones etc. They would always mess something up. With iPad, this actually "just works". :) But I hate their inability to sync Tasks (directly, non-cloud), which is one of the most important parts...

Most reactions

Latest posts