Any non-glass, polycarbonate, or other more durable screen replacements for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by TheOnlyKingArthur, Mar 21, 2012.

1. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I don't think I'm wording this correctly...

Apple is implied; we are talking about an iPad after all. But Apple doesn't offer to sell replacement parts for the iPad, including the screen. That leaves only third party manufacturers to create and sell replacement screens.

Of the various manufacturers creating replacement screens for the iPad, I'm wondering if anyone has found a more durable replacement option? Either a different material, or perhaps a thicker version of the same material?

2. jmbarker

jmbarker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    AppleCare+? Is this different than the AppleCare I purchased for my iPad 2? I bought for my wife's as well but have not activated it as I can find receipt to get the date of purchase of her iPad 2. So are there two versions of AppleCare? Will the unactivated one I have work with the "new" iPad (generation 3) that I just ordered or do I have get AppleCare+?

Thanks!

3. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Good questions. Looks like AppleCare+ was introduced in October, right after I purchased my iPad 2. That's why I don't remember the AppleCare "accidental damage replacement", because it didn't exist before AppleCare+ was introduced, and that's why I didn't buy it.
    Apple's new AppleCare+ lets you drop and replace your iPhone twice

Your AppleCare should transfer over, but you ought to call in and talk with someone to verify. You also should get your device activated with it as soon as possible. I doubt it will be easy to activate when it comes time to use it if something breaks.
    AppleCare now transferrable across all Apple products

4. jmbarker

jmbarker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I was able to cancel my iPad order as it was placed only yesterday. After receipt of confirmation e-mail, I re-ordered the iPad WITH AppleCare+ as I confirmed with the Apple rep that helped me cancel the original order that they needed to be purchased at the same time, ideally. So receipt of new iPad will be delayed one day. No problem.

5. bob2200

bob2200
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I thought you could order AppleCare+ any time within 30days of purchase (i.e., doesn't need to be ordered at time of purchase of iPad).

6. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You can technically, but it's easier to just order it with the initial purchase. The caveat is, (and makes total sense), you have to go in to an Apple store to have your device inspected when purchasing Apple Care after the fact. That way you can't break your device within the first thirty days, THEN purchase AppleCare to get it replaced.

Although there are companies and distributors that don't have this requirement for post-purchase of extended warranties, Apple does.

7. jmbarker

jmbarker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Exactly why I canceled the first order then placed a new order with AppleCare+ included. Too much hassle to go to an Apple store. Sixty-five mile round trip to the closest one to me.

8. Contra

Contra
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Wow, surprised it broke while in the case...great to know about that case

I wish I they had an better alternative for the glass. But who knows

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

9. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was pretty surprised too.

10. rlapoint

rlapoint
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The Otterbox Defender is one strong case. Should have survived a 2 foot drop on carpet with no worry.