What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas

Leo Elfarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear friends,

I wonder if there is an app has the feature of creating audio book and integrating English dictionary at the same time . So, I will be able to listen to the book while I'm reading it, and if there is any vague word, it will be easy to translate it by tapping on it. Any idea will be very appreciated.

Many thanks
Leo

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not that I know of, but;

If you select text in iBooks, you can tell it Speak that text. It's clumsy, but if your main purpose is to improve your English reading skills, it might be enough.

iBooks also uses the built in English dictionary. Unfortunately you can not use the Speak and dictionary lookup at the same time. At least I dont' think so.

Afraid that's it for ideas from me.

Tip: if you tap with two fingers an entire paragraph is selected. You can select a larger section, up to the entire screen, by using the pinch-out gesture; the same one you use in many other apps to zoom in.

OP
Leo Elfarra

Leo Elfarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that I know of, but;

If you select text in iBooks, you can tell it Speak that text. It's clumsy, but if your main purpose is to improve your English reading skills, it might be enough.

iBooks also uses the built in English dictionary. Unfortunately you can not use the Speak and dictionary lookup at the same time. At least I dont' think so.

Afraid that's it for ideas from me.

Tip: if you tap with two fingers an entire paragraph is selected. You can select a larger section, up to the entire screen, by using the pinch-out gesture; the same one you use in many other apps to zoom in.

There is an app called FullTextDict. It is really amazing app I love the idea of creating such app, the problem is that you can not add or delete book to it, it has its own book. For instance, there is book story called Vanity Fair, you can download and browse it. Hopefully you will get what I mean. My concern is that if there is any feature of adding any book for such app.

Thank you very much mate

Leo

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the app developer did not add the ability, then you can't add a book. I can't really tell, since I'm not able to read Chinese.

Your best bet is to contact the developer via their support link in the App Store and ask. Perhaps they will consider adding the feature, or have other products that will meet your needs.

OP
Leo Elfarra

Leo Elfarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If the app developer did not add the ability, then you can't add a book. I can't really tell, since I'm not able to read Chinese.

Your best bet is to contact the developer via their support link in the App Store and ask. Perhaps they will consider adding the feature, or have other products that will meet your needs.

I did contact them and they replied that they make the book by their own, there is no open interface to edit till now.

Thank you my friend

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I haven't heard an app about that but good thing you opened this. Let us know if you find one :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some possibilities:

Amazon sells some ebooks that also are available in audiobook format. They sell some combos at a discount, like if you've bought the ebook, they'll sometimes sell you the audiobook at discount. (Otherwise you'd have to buy ebook and audiobook at full price.) So if you bought a combo, you could read the ebook and access its dictionary function, while listening to the audiobook. Of course, you'd be limited to the ebooks and audiobooks that Amazon sells. (Amazon sells via its website, as well as on Audible.com, which it owns.)

Other alternatives: You can buy audiobooks from iTunes, or other sites, and buy the matching ebook from various sites. Or you could borrow from a library that offers both ebooks and audiobooks; just check out the same book in both formats. There also are free classic ebooks (for which copyright has expired) that are widely available via Gutenberg Press, and you could download the matching audiobook from Librivox for free. Librivox audiobooks are recorded by volunteers, so quality can vary, but it's hard to be picky when something is free. iTunes also offers some free Librivox audiobooks.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool. How did I ever miss that feature?

Thanks. :)

It's relatively new. Amazon bought Audible not that long ago and has been investing and improving, as well as integrating services and products.

I love Kindle books and I love Audible books. Together, they're a great combo. Amazing service from both, too. Every time I've called or emailed to cancel an order or ask about services, it's been easy to get a live, friendly person, or a next-day response or action.

OP
Leo Elfarra

Leo Elfarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's relatively new. Amazon bought Audible not that long ago and has been investing and improving, as well as integrating services and products.

I love Kindle books and I love Audible books. Together, they're a great combo. Amazing service from both, too. Every time I've called or emailed to cancel an order or ask about services, it's been easy to get a live, friendly person, or a next-day response or action.

I downloaded Kindle and Audible app, but didnt know from where shall I add narration. Could you please explain the steps how to add audiobook to kindle.

Many thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Kindle and Audible app, but didnt know from where shall I add narration. Could you please explain the steps how to add audiobook to kindle.

Many thanks

Amazon's Whispersync for Voice Is a Killer Feature

Scroll to where it says, "Here's how it works...."

That's if you want syncing.

For your purposes, you probably should just read on the Kindle app while listening on the Audible app in the background (you can use both apps at the same time), because you want to look up words as the book plays. If you use the Whispersync, you'll be using only one or the other app at a time. That's meant for people who are just not able to read while driving, exercising, etc., so they alternate between reading or listening.

Last edited:

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't kindle read the book to you and also have a feature that explains the meaning of words?

(This message was brought to you from my lovely new ipad)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't kindle read the book to you and also have a feature that explains the meaning of words?

(This message was brought to you from my lovely new ipad)

Some Kindle e-ink readers have a feature that has a robo-voice that reads you a book. It sounds like crap, but some people don't mind. I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying to learn English, lol.

There's no word explanation feature that I know of beyond dictionaries.

I've had Kindle e-ink since the old-school days, so my Kindle e-reader has the VoiceOver (robo-voice) feature. I've read that newer Kindle e-readers don't offer it.

Adding this link for iPad, which I just googled:

http://www.ehow.com/how_12161261_texttospeech-ipad-using-kindle-books-amazon.html

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts