1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Antivirus for iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by nmalbanese, Mar 1, 2011.

1. nmalbanese

nmalbanese iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am new to the forum so forgive me if this is not the right place to post this question.

I work for a school district that is going to be introducing iPads as textbook replacements. We are in a Windows 2008 environment using Symantec Endpoint Protection.

My director is asking is we need to have an antivirus product on these units. From what i can see it isn't necessary, or even possible as the iOS won't allow you to install it. In addition the iOS does not allow multitasking or background processes, so it is unlikely that an virus would be able to execute.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Also, is there any vulnerability in Safari as far a browser hijack?

Thanks -
  2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    iPads do not get viruses.
  3. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Provided the ipads are not jail broken, it is not possible to run unauthorised software on the iPad therefore Antivirus products are not required.
  4. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is jailbroken? I assume it means hacked into, somehow. If so, what are the symptoms and how, from where is it most likely to occur?
    Thanx
    S

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Apple took the decision to 'sandbox' the programs (apps) in the iPad. This means that apps have only a very limited ability to interact - and this interaction is absolutely controlled by the operating system (iOS). So if you tried to write a 'virus' program for the iPad it would have no effect, because it couldn't interact with any other program or the operating system.

That, inevitably, has other consequences and places restrictions on what programs can do. In Windows, for example, applications (programs) can interact and this can be very useful. So some (clever) programmers found a way to 'jail break' the iPad and remove this restriction (effectively 'jailbreaking' means your iPad can 'run' non-Apple approved apps from the Cydia website, where they make such non-approved apps available). They can now run 'unauthorised' apps on the iPad that 'take advantage' of the removal of this restriction. The downside - technically a 'jail broken' iPad could be vunerable to viruses.

But don't worry - a 'regular' (non jail broken) iPad is not vunerable to any 'viruses' that a deviant programmer might write to 'infect' a jail broken iPad. So your IT manager need have no worries - if your iPads are not 'jailbroken' they are absolutely safe from viruses.

Basically, if you accept the restrictions that Apple place on your iPad and don't jail break, you're completely safe - a virus cannot 'infect' you.

Additionally, any 'app' that a normal (non-jail broken) iPad can download will have been thoroughly checked and approved by Apple, so could not contain any malevolent code...

OK - I'll get 'hacked' by the iPad 'jail breakers' - sorry for the 'pun' but, basically, you're safe.

Apple have a number of 'white papers' and other documents on their web site that address this issue if you'd like the links...

Tim
    Scotland

Another sunny day..
  6. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I always point educational users to Fraser Speirs blog where he has documented the roll out of iPads at his school. As an IT teacher he was only too aware of the problems that could arise.
    Fraser Speirs - Blog Index
    GL.
  7. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the information Tim, all clear now. Happy to stay in the sandbox...
    S

Sent from my iPad using iPF