What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Could Bring Split-screen Multitasking for iPad Users in iOS 8

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
9236-721-Screen-Shot-2014-05-13-at-93405-AM-l.png

One of the biggest complaints iOS users have had for a while now, especially owners of iPad tablets, is the fact that it’s impossible to run two applications at the same time. This “weakness†has also been speculated by Microsoft, who has highlighted that Windows tablets can do that quite easily. But according to some fresh reports, the upcoming iOS 8 version could put an end to all that with a new multi-app split screen support. 9to5Mac publication has more details on this:

iOS 8 is likely to supercharge the functionality of Apple’s iPad with a new split-screen multitasking feature, according to sources with knowledge of the enhancement in development. These people say that the feature will allow iPad users to run and interact with two iPad applications at once. Up until now, each iPad application either developed by Apple or available on the App Store is only usable individually in a full-screen view.

The ability to use multiple applications simultaneously on a tablet’s display takes a page out of Microsoft’s playbook. Microsoft’s Surface line of tablets has a popular “snap†multitasking feature that allows customers to snap multiple apps onto the screen for simultaneous usage. The feature is popular in the enterprise and in environments where users need to handle multiple tasks at the same time.

The feature has allegedly been designed with Apple's full-size 9.7-inch iPad models, so it’s not sure whether it will ill be available on the 7.9-inch iPad mini or not. The purported function could allow users might to easily drag text, video or images from one application to another. iOS is only been capable of showing one application at a time, as by “multitasking†in iOS, we understand the running of multiple processes on the background.

Source: 9to5Mac

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see no reason why that won't or can't be on the retina iPad mini....both modesl have the exact same number of pixels on the screen...no reason do bake in a difference in functionality.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw this in our local paper yesterday also.

I hope it's true as I think it will be a great feature and make it so much easier for some tasks!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's about time we get this...I will look forward to seeing this feature.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This seems to be a very in demand feature but I've yet pave a case where I feel I'd really need it. The four finger swipe between open apps does the trick for me. If it's done right though, it'll be another big selling point. As if they need more anyways. :)

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I've quite gotten used to the lack of multi-tasking on iOS. I haven't found it a big problem to minimize one app and open another. That said, I definitely wouldn't object to having it, and I look forward to seeing how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having two apps on the screen is once isn't even multitasking...that's really just windows...the iPad does multitask, though...anytime you're playing music in the background, listening to an audiobook in the background, or doing Nav in the background while having other foreground tasking going on....Having multiple windows is neat just when you need to see what's on one screen to input or make selections in another....

J.O.D.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on the same wave with you, but there is one situation where multigesture do not work - note taking apps with handwriting. So for me, two apps on a single screen would really save the day, as I simply hate having to use the home button double-tap.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am on the same wave with you, but there is one situation where multigesture do not work - note taking apps with handwriting. So for me, two apps on a single screen would really save the day, as I simply hate having to use the home button double-tap.

You can use a four finger swipe right or left to cycle through open apps without having to touch the home button. It's not a split screen multitask but it does get from one app back to another pretty quickly.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Getting old and can't remember things from one screen to another. I'd like to be able to copy a name or number in one screen while looking at the other.

Bobbi

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Getting old and can't remember things from one screen to another. I'd like to be able to copy a name or number in one screen while looking at the other. Bobbi

Copy and paste is already a feature, so it should continue to be available in the split screen environment.

Most reactions

Latest posts