What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An unknown error occurred (-1) while trying to restore Ipad 3 new

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta_daz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello ,, i have got the same problem and when trying the recovery mode and to restore my ipad , i have got the same error (-1) .

then i have stooped my running security software ( it is Symantec in my case ) , stop the service from the administrative tools/services in my PC. and trying restore process again . then my Ipad has been restored scornfully.
I already tried that. I even deleted the current .ipsw file, with the Norton AV disabled; just incase of corruption.
All still same.

beta_daz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already tried that. I even deleted the current .ipsw file, with the Norton AV disabled; just incase of corruption.
All still same.
OK I have got mine working now. BUT reset to factory settings.
You need to 4. Put your device into DFU mode. Search for "TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS" on this site
Then it will restore.

So in summary.
# My iPad was working fine until Apple nagged me to update the OS
# Apple iTunes messed up my iPad and lost all my data
# Apple genius' told me that error (-1) means there is a hardware problem with my device
# Turns out there is all wrong with the hardware or it wouldnt be working now.
# Lastly, Apple are all nuts and Im buying a Microsoft tablet

Last edited by a moderator:

orijonl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE

The solution is to restore in DFU mode, but you should probably try on a different machine. I tried this, and it still failed, but apparently there is a problem with the Apple servers that cause the IPSW to corrupt during download more often thannot. I had my device restored at the Apple Store and this is what they told me. The Genius told me that they had been restoring devices that failed like this constantly over the last week or so. So, it would have worked from home on the right computer with the right download. I apparently just didn't try enough.

It is rather infuriating that this problem had nothing to do with the jailbreak, but whenever i encounter a problem, I always assume its the JB first. This is just my latest lesson in the "Safety of Jailbreaking".

arifsarwar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.arifsarwar.com
iPad 3, Restore error-1

My iPad 3 [Purchased October-2012, from Singapore], Facing the same problem, error (-1) while trying to restore. It was not jailbroken & The iPad was working fine.. There is no issue of dropping. The Cellular data was switched off and when I switched On after going home from office, the iPad was failing to search for GSM network and started auto restarting within 5 minutes.. I tried factory resting, no improve. Tried to restore the OS using iTunes, Now it fails to complete the restore process and gives error (-1). Anyi OS 6.0.1/6.1.4/7 same error.. I live chat with Apple support, they says to send it to Singapore for servicing. It is very much hassle for me to send it to Singapore as I m in Bangladesh & here there is no authorized support center. PLEASE HELP.. @@

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The last post asking for advice in this thread was made in 2013. I'm sure the members participating until then have solved their problem somehow.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts