Am I the only one who thinks the camera Sucks?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by JF7FSU, Mar 12, 2011.

1. JF7FSU

JF7FSU
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I cannot believe how pixelated the camera app is. I am almost wondering if mine is broken it is so grainy. I didn't buy for the camera but OMG it is really bad.

2. Megadesertdiesel

Megadesertdiesel
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Mine is the same. Horrible quality pics.

3. pikapp168

pikapp168
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    yea its like the V3 Razr LOL

4. Futurebird

Futurebird
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It's HORRIBLE. I was warned that it would not be that good, but even with lots of light the images are quite grainy.

It will do for documenting things quickly (mostly what I wanted it for) ... but, I have a $30 no-name digital camera that takes better photos.

I'm not impressed at all.

I guess it is mostly meant for video?

I have no idea.

5. Wisco

Wisco
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My initial thought/response when I tried it out was "Are you serious?"

Then again I'll probably never use it anyway, as I always have my iPhone 4 in my pocket.

6. Futurebird

Futurebird
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Do you think that 3rd party apps will be able to improve the quality in any way? I think one reason it looks bad is due to a low-res image being stretched over a big screen. If the images are smaller, they look a little better.

Likewise, the balance of colors (levels?) is poorly calibrated. Photos inside are very yellow, and this makes them look old and junky. I think there could be a software fix for that too.

Nothing will make the resolution higher... and I will be sending a note to apple about this. I hope the next ipad has a decent camara...

How do you guys plan on using the camera?

I like to take photos of my knitting projects and other things and post them to knitting forums... it's OK for that.

I was hoping I could use it for ebay...but... well... NO.

I'm hoping to see some cool 3rd party apps that use the camera for things like OCR, geotagging ...etc.

7. thedon

thedon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For the peeps still to buy the ipad2. You've been warned. But I'm sure mostly everybody will only be FaceTiming with this thing as far as the cam goes.

8. RafRey

RafRey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm hoping there is an IOS update that will fix this. If this is the same camera as the iPhone 4, software should be the cure. I am pretty sure I won't be lugging this thing around to take photos with, but yea, I would expect a sharper image.

However, I can only theorize that more R&D went into the A5 chip, slimmer profile, etc. than into a camera that may be used periodically. But still, we've been waiting for the iPad camera, and this is what we get? I don't see how this got out the Apple doors. Paying $600 and change for the lowest end model doesn't make me to too willing to accept compromise.

That being said, I still love the thing. Kind of like how you love your dog, even after he just peed on the carpet.

9. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It is mainly an inadequate camera for the screen size and I doubt that software is going to change that. It was the cheapest way to satisfy the demands for cameras, but they are going to have to do better for the iPad 3.

10. Kingv84

Kingv84
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The iPad camera is awesome. I use it as my main camera when I go sight seeing. /s