What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one who thinks the camera Sucks?

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot believe how pixelated the camera app is. I am almost wondering if mine is broken it is so grainy. I didn't buy for the camera but OMG it is really bad.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's HORRIBLE. I was warned that it would not be that good, but even with lots of light the images are quite grainy.

It will do for documenting things quickly (mostly what I wanted it for) ... but, I have a $30 no-name digital camera that takes better photos.

I'm not impressed at all.

I guess it is mostly meant for video?

I have no idea.

Wisco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My initial thought/response when I tried it out was "Are you serious?"

Then again I'll probably never use it anyway, as I always have my iPhone 4 in my pocket.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think that 3rd party apps will be able to improve the quality in any way? I think one reason it looks bad is due to a low-res image being stretched over a big screen. If the images are smaller, they look a little better.

Likewise, the balance of colors (levels?) is poorly calibrated. Photos inside are very yellow, and this makes them look old and junky. I think there could be a software fix for that too.

Nothing will make the resolution higher... and I will be sending a note to apple about this. I hope the next ipad has a decent camara...

How do you guys plan on using the camera?

I like to take photos of my knitting projects and other things and post them to knitting forums... it's OK for that.

I was hoping I could use it for ebay...but... well... NO.

I'm hoping to see some cool 3rd party apps that use the camera for things like OCR, geotagging ...etc.

thedon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the peeps still to buy the ipad2. You've been warned. But I'm sure mostly everybody will only be FaceTiming with this thing as far as the cam goes.

RafRey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping there is an IOS update that will fix this. If this is the same camera as the iPhone 4, software should be the cure. I am pretty sure I won't be lugging this thing around to take photos with, but yea, I would expect a sharper image.

However, I can only theorize that more R&D went into the A5 chip, slimmer profile, etc. than into a camera that may be used periodically. But still, we've been waiting for the iPad camera, and this is what we get? I don't see how this got out the Apple doors. Paying $600 and change for the lowest end model doesn't make me to too willing to accept compromise.

That being said, I still love the thing. Kind of like how you love your dog, even after he just peed on the carpet.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is mainly an inadequate camera for the screen size and I doubt that software is going to change that. It was the cheapest way to satisfy the demands for cameras, but they are going to have to do better for the iPad 3.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping there is an IOS update that will fix this. If this is the same camera as the iPhone 4, software should be the cure. I am pretty sure I won't be lugging this thing around to take photos with, but yea, I would expect a sharper image.
It is most definitely not the same camera as in the iPhone 4.

It could be the same camera as in the iPod touch 4G but that takes crappy photos too.

Michael

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the peeps still to buy the ipad2. You've been warned. But I'm sure mostly everybody will only be FaceTiming with this thing as far as the cam goes.

Yeah, that's the only reason I want a camera on a tablet--video calls.

I'd never take photos with a tablet. Way too bulky for that IMO. I wouldn't be carrying it around places to take pictures anyway as it doesn't fit in my pocket unlike my digital camera.

iPad will get used 99% of the time at home and in the office.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know. I just went outside and shot a minute of video and I'm highly impressed with the clarity. But when I went inside and did the same I wasn't quite as impressed. I guess it's the difference in lighting. Of course that's using the rear camera.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just took the same shot with my iphone4 and ipad2. The iPad looks like it's about 1/3 the resolution. I guess I could compare file sizes but I'm too lazy.

The good news is 720p HD video only needs .92 megapixels per frame. That's why iPad 720p video looks pretty good. Just stay away from stills at that resolution.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, here's my take on this...

There are many times when I'm reading a magazine or doing something on the iPad and I'm in the living room or outside on my deck and I see something that begs "Kodak Moment" but it will only last for a few seconds or so and, much to my chagrin, I don't have my Canon DSLR nor my EVO 4G right there within arm's reach. But I DO have the iPad and many a time I wish it had a camera of SOME kind to capture that "Kodak Moment" that otherwise would be lost forever. During some of those times, I've made an attempt to quietly and quickly get up to fetch my either my camera or phone but the moment vanishes very quickly. I'm not about to haul around my phone and keep it in camera mode or my camera at my side all of the time.

I had hoped the camera on the iPad 2 would be sufficient enough to at least take some fairly decent low-res shots just for this purpose. It's not that I'm planning on walking around Paris during my trip and holding up the iPad to snap photos. That'd be dumb. But man, when I'm sitting at an outdoor cafe with my iPad and I see a really cool-looking bird who's striking a neat little pose, you can bet THAT'S when I'll totally appreciate having at least somewhat of a half-ass camera on my iPad! By the time I'd lay the iPad down, quietly and slowly fish my phone out of its holster and start the camera on it, then lift it up and compose my image, the bird is gone.

Screw FaceTime (incidentally, I have Fring on my EVO 4G-works like a charm). I don't use it. Why? I personally don't know anyone else who has an iPhone, Android phone or iPad to do this stuff with. Hopefully, that'll change soon.. ;-)

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts