What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one who thinks the camera Sucks?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nickso said:
Yes, cameras are horrible !!!!
But I did not buy my iPad 2 for the camera.

I don't think anybody did, even if it were 12 megapixels.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

RafRey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping there is an IOS update that will fix this. If this is the same camera as the iPhone 4, software should be the cure. I am pretty sure I won't be lugging this thing around to take photos with, but yea, I would expect a sharper image.

However, I can only theorize that more R&D went into the A5 chip, slimmer profile, etc. than into a camera that may be used periodically. But still, we've been waiting for the iPad camera, and this is what we get? I don't see how this got out the Apple doors. Paying $600 and change for the lowest end model doesn't make me to too willing to accept compromise.

That being said, I still love the thing. Kind of like how you love your dog, even after he just peed on the carpet.

OK, after spending most of last night tinkering with my iPad2, downloading some apps, synching music, pictures, and videos, checking facebook, browsing the web, watching a movie on Netflix, and using the HDMI connector to my TV, I completely forgot there was a camera on this thing at all!

Spaarty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, after spending most of last night tinkering with my iPad2, downloading some apps, synching music, pictures, and videos, checking facebook, browsing the web, watching a movie on Netflix, and using the HDMI connector to my TV, I completely forgot there was a camera on this thing at all!

That is Hilarious and Awesome at the same time !! :). I know the feeling though, too many things to play with on this darn iPad, you forget everything that it can do !

As most prople have stated, the Camera is a little weak IMO, however that is not a deal breaker for me. Yes it might be convenient at times to snap a picture with the iPad in hand, but for the most part digi cam or iphone4 camera work for me.

pinaklonkar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just came across this website - http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3126_7-10007030-7.html?s=0&o=10007030&tag=mncol;thum

I think under good day-light, this camera does an acceptable job. You won't be awed by the results, but it's good for a quick capture. I have the iPod touch and it takes pictures quite well when there is very bright light around. I believe the iPad 2 camera is the same as many have said here.

Night/day photography? reach out for that DSLR you lost somewhere in your closet. :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, here's my take on this...

There are many times when I'm reading a magazine or doing something on the iPad and I'm in the living room or outside on my deck and I see something that begs " Moment" but it will only last for a few seconds or so and, much to my chagrin, I don't have my Canon DSLR nor my EVO 4G right there within arm's reach. But I DO have the iPad and many a time I wish it had a camera of SOME kind to capture that "Kodak Moment" that otherwise would be lost forever. During some of those times, I've made an attempt to quietly and quickly get up to fetch my either my camera or phone but the moment vanishes very quickly. I'm not about to haul around my phone and keep it in camera mode or my camera at my side all of the time.

I had hoped the camera on the iPad 2 would be sufficient enough to at least take some fairly decent low-res shots just for this purpose. It's not that I'm planning on walking around Paris during my trip and holding up the iPad to snap photos. That'd be dumb. But man, when I'm sitting at an outdoor cafe with my iPad and I see a really cool-looking bird who's striking a neat little pose, you can bet THAT'S when I'll totally appreciate having at least somewhat of a half-ass camera on my iPad! By the time I'd lay the iPad down, quietly and slowly fish my phone out of its holster and start the camera on it, then lift it up and compose my image, the bird is gone.

Screw FaceTime (incidentally, I have Fring on my EVO 4G-works like a charm). I don't use it. Why? I personally don't know anyone else who has an iPhone, Android phone or iPad to do this stuff with. Hopefully, that'll change soon.. ;-)

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Try Skype or Tango apps. For video chat between diff. Devices. Wrks great on my ipad1. Although they can't see me, I can still chat n see them clearly. The Tango one wrks well.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping there is an IOS update that will fix this. If this is the same camera as the iPhone 4, software should be the cure. I am pretty sure I won't be lugging this thing around to take photos with, but yea, I would expect a sharper image.

However, I can only theorize that more R&D went into the A5 chip, slimmer profile, etc. than into a camera that may be used periodically. But still, we've been waiting for the iPad camera, and this is what we get? I don't see how this got out the Apple doors. Paying $600 and change for the lowest end model doesn't make me to too willing to accept compromise.

That being said, I still love the thing. Kind of like how you love your dog, even after he just peed on the carpet.

Sounds just like what I do, on my "IPAD1" ;-) instead using jailbreak app, display out, for mirroring, and composite cables to hook up to t.v. I luv Netflix! Lol

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think apple should have used the rear camera in the front. Its the better quality camera and my belief is that on the iPad 2 most videos will be captured from the front facing camera. Either during video calls, photo booth or videos for video blogs.

SG thoughts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RE: Ipad 2 Camera Sucks!

As an owner of iPad, I was really looking forward to iPad 2. After using the new iPad for more than a week, the most disappointing thing about it is the camera. It is horrible. It is not even good for Facetime. Everyone complains about how grainy the picture quality is. This has been even more frustrating than the antenna problem with iPhone 4. Is Apple losing it or just getting a bit too greedy? I don't know if this is just shoddy workmanship or Apple trying to squeeze one more version out of the iPad series. The next version will have a better camera. The one after that will have a better screen. That will be four versions, just like the iPhone. My advice is ditch iPad 2, buy the first iPad for a couple of hundred less. The speed difference between the two versions is not noticeable.

Most reactions

Latest posts