iPhone OS falls to No. 3

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by NumbLock, May 10, 2010.

1. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    "It's not a stunning surprise, but the Android OS has knocked Apple out of the number 2 slot and slid just behind RIM."

Source: The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Hm...wonder what Cupertino will do?

What do y'all think they SHOULD do?

2. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Nothing. Every two bit china hack job runs Android...... And developers can't make money off it since the apps are free, one way or another.....

Apple is doing very well......they just need to keep innovating so the others will have something to copy....

3. Jman09

Jman09
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I use Android, mainly because it's the best phone on Verizon other than BlackBerry which I was tired of using. For some reason in our house I get full coverage, where my mom and brother with iPhone 3G's only get a bar or two.
    But when this contract ends next June I will be switching to AT&T and getting whatever iPhone comes out then. My bill will definitely be then, since everyone I talk to has AT&T.

Not all the apps are free, unless you get them from those free sites and install it yourself (which I don't do). But I agree with you, there are too many phones out there running Android. Too many devices with too many varying OS versions.
    And theres isn't much Apple can do except to keep putting out great Hardware and Software to keep pushing the market to make great things. And some people aren't jumping to the iPhone because of AT&T network problems. Which isn't a problem in my area, just inside my house for some reason.

4. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like you're saying that the best thing Apple can do is make more phones for more carriers.:)

5. freebirdforever

freebirdforever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I love my mytouch3G and wouldn't change it for the world, however I do wish apple would offer to other carriers.

6. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I think that Android is mostly taking business away from RIM rather than Apple. I suspect that once the next generation of iPhone comes out, the iPhone will see a strong surge in demand. And if the rumors are true about a Verizon version, it will make a big rise in iPhones. I have to admit that I am amused by the media slant on this. Only one company makes iPhone, but look how many variations, models, manufacturers, carriers, etc. that are doing Android. I don't think Apple is worried about being number 3. At least their stock holders aren't in a panic.

7. Brad Groux

Brad Groux
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    No surprise here. I had an iPhone and having to Jailbreak it to get the most out of a phone that I paid $500 for is ridiculous. I have and love my HTC Hero running Android, there really isn't anything the iPhone does better than a good Android phone, expect maybe media playback which most people don't even use their iPhones for anymore anyway.

8. BassGear

BassGear
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Most likely Apple will keep steadily losing market share until they allow Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint to carry the iphone. I'm a VERY LONG time Verizon customer with a BlackBerry Tour, I really like it but I would will be the first in line if, and when, Verizon gets an iphone, preferably a 4G iphone.

9. Brad Groux

Brad Groux
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Good point. The main reason iPhone sucks isn't the closed platform, it is AT&T... I switched to Sprint and never looked back.

10. latro

latro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    This may all change again in a month when Apple announces their new iPhone(s) and releases the iPhone OS 4.