Airport Screening

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Al Rogers, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Wolffmann34

Wolffmann34
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I can answer that - it's a placebo, the TSA gives people the illusion of security and even though most know that it is only an illusion we live on the belief that when something does go wrong, we are sure it will happen to someone else, not us.

We also know that true security would require two things, an extensive investment that would in the end raise the cost of air travel and include the forfeiture of all personal rights and privacy. So we accept the system, flawed as it is, for the way it is.

2. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

With that being said,, how in the heck does a MakBook Pro get through the x-ray???????? These things are encased in a complete aluminium shell. :confused::confused::confused:

3. drt_byk

drt_byk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    X-rays will penetrate ALL metals but one: Pb = Lead.

4. Phantom

Phantom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    No Problem With Flying - Use A ScottVest

5. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    depends on the x-ray exposure type. i'm really not sure, so dont hold me to it, but i believe airport x-rays use a very low exposure and dont think these are the type to penetrate light metals such as aluminum.

6. Wolffmann34

Wolffmann34
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    So, the first few flights I took my iPad out like a laptop. This last weekend I left it in it's little netbook bag and the lady asked me if I had a e-reader in my bag. I said no, and iPad, she asked is that an e-reader or a computer. I said 'both'. She said all computers need to be out of the bag to go through security. I didn't argue any further. This was in Minneapolis. The return from Orlando I just took it out again like a laptop.

I'm sure we'll be required to remove them all the time once they become more common, they've always said that laptops and other larger electronic devices should be removed and scanned separately.

7. Gabi

Gabi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This is helpful as I will be flying soon. Thanks, guys.

8. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I will probably just keep mine out so I don't hinder the line at screening.

9. arshield

arshield
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I just get irritated that the head of the TSA and the official TSA blog both said do not take them out. But on the ground we are told to take them out. Atlanta TSA when I asked about why they wanted me to take out a kindle in a TSA approved computer bag, and noting that TSA in Chicago told me not to take it out, said, "well if we all did the same thing the terrorists would be able to find out our methods and figure out how to sneak stuff in". But that is the point of policy, if you know what to expect you can move the line along and they know what to look for.

10. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they are very inconsistent. For example...in EVERY airport (and I travel 50k+ miles a year for work) except Madison, WI they have no issue with me putting my shoes in my backpack when going through security as opposed to on the belt or in a bin.

Clearly the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.