What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air stash

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking this gadget will connect to my iPad wirelessly? Do I need a Card for it? What are its benefits, uses?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it lets you play music, movies, view photos that are stored on an sd card. Some apps can read and save files to it as well. Unlimited wireless storage.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take a look at this first: Amazon.com: HyperDrive iUSBport Wi-Fi - Makes Any USB Storage Device Wireless - Black: Computers & Accessories

Basically it is a portable NAS, it will make any USB-storage device wireless.

I don't know if I'd call that "portable." It weighs almost half a pound on its own, and you'll still need to bring along a storage device to plug into it. The AirStash is only 3 ounces and about the size of modern car key, so it's a much better solution on the go. I carry two 64GB SDHC cards, but they're half an ounce each.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
I don't know if I'd call that "portable." It weighs almost half a pound on its own, and you'll still need to bring along a storage device to plug into it. The AirStash is only 3 ounces and about the size of modern car key, so it's a much better solution on the go. I carry two 64GB SDHC cards, but they're half an ounce each.

I have the iUSBport and it is no heavier than my company mobile phone and will fit in a trouser pocket however, you are correct about needing a storage device although I use a WD Passport which easily fits in a shirt pocket.

The Archangel

OP
lizzieh

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I need to decide if I need, or desire one.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You can plug those very same SDHC cards on the iUSBport using a 3-buck adapter if you wish. Granted it is not as portable as the AirStash but it offers many more functions:

- You can plug on it almost any storage you already have (either directly though the USB ports or by using adapters)
- It supports multiple filesystems (FAT, NTFS, EXT, HFS...) which it means you will never be bothered by file sizes (AirStash only supports FAT32 filesystem and 4 GB of max file size if I'm not mistaken)
- It can turn an ethernet connection into a wireless connection by using an ethernet to USB adapter
- It can provide internet access from a modem/computer and work as a router
- On the future it will support new USB devices like an external DVD/Blue-ray drive for instance

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iUSBport and it is no heavier than my company mobile phone and will fit in a trouser pocket however, you are correct about needing a storage device although I use a WD Passport which easily fits in a shirt pocket.

I'm very much against carrying additional gadgets and weight where possible. Carrying your iPad, your cell phone, and then adding this device and a portable drive - that doesn't seem like a big win to me.

You can plug those very same SDHC cards on the iUSBport using a 3-buck adapter if you wish. Granted it is not as portable as the AirStash but it offers many more functions [snip]

I'm not criticizing the device itself, but rather its suitability as an iPad accessory. Only the first two of your points has any relevance for use with an iPad. It can't use the external DVD drive or ethernet capabilities, and even needing to work with 4GB+ files isn't a given for most users.

Just my thoughts.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
I'm very much against carrying additional gadgets and weight where possible. Carrying your iPad, your cell phone, and then adding this device and a portable drive - that doesn't seem like a big win to me.

I'm not criticizing the device itself, but rather its suitability as an iPad accessory. Only the first two of your points has any relevance for use with an iPad. It can't use the external DVD drive or ethernet capabilities, and even needing to work with 4GB+ files isn't a given for most users.

Just my thoughts.

Demand suggests others like this sort of device. If not, the company making them would go bust. Some people are still portable with a messenger style bag that their iPad or MacBook Air can slip into, and has room for accessories like Bluetooth keyboards and other peripherals. They are not so tight on weight or space that such a device is an inconvenience.

Some will prefer the iUSBPort and other will like the Airstash, whilst others will go with the Wi Drive or Go Flex Satellite. It's all about personal preference for the task at hand.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Demand suggests others like this sort of device. If not, the company making them would go bust. Some people are still portable with a messenger style bag that their iPad or MacBook Air can slip into, and has room for accessories like Bluetooth keyboards and other peripherals. They are not so tight on weight or space that such a device is an inconvenience.

I know that lots of people get an iPad or iPad Mini and then load up with so much tech that they'd just as well have bought a laptop, but I'm not sure you can gauge demand for this device by iPad owners. It was well thought-of as a Kickstarter project, but now that you can get large wi-fi drives for about the same money, it's chief benefit to an iPad owner would be it's ability to read multiple media types using various adapters. I suspect there isn't a large demand for that. Now that the portable drive makers are enabling wi-fi, people just dump everything onto one drive and go.

It's sort of stuck in the middie, I think. If you're fussy about weight like me, you want something small like an AirStash with 256GB SDXC card - pricey, but a lot of capacity in a tiny package. If you don't care about weight, you just lug along a big drive with wi-fi capability, some of which can host/split an internet connection.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
I know that lots of people get an iPad or iPad Mini and then load up with so much tech that they'd just as well have bought a laptop, but I'm not sure you can gauge demand for this device by iPad owners. It was well thought-of as a Kickstarter project, but now that you can get large wi-fi drives for about the same money, it's chief benefit to an iPad owner would be it's ability to read multiple media types using various adapters. I suspect there isn't a large demand for that. Now that the portable drive makers are enabling wi-fi, people just dump everything onto one drive and go.

It's sort of stuck in the middie, I think. If you're fussy about weight like me, you want something small like an AirStash with 256GB SDXC card - pricey, but a lot of capacity in a tiny package. If you don't care about weight, you just lug along a big drive with wi-fi capability, some of which can host/split an internet connection.

Without wishing to get too involved in this I would say there is a big difference between iUSBport and other wifi drives. The iUSBport has an internal battery and powers the drive it is running, so no need to be near an external power source. It really isn't heavy at all and it's certainly not big, the case for my sunglasses is bigger. The other reason for me not going with an Ext HD with built in wifi (like the GoFlex) is that if the HD fails (and they do occasionally) then it's a dead device, if my Ext HD fails I can still use the iUSBport with a different Ext HD.

The thing is, I have nothing at all against AirStash, in fact I think that they are both great devices but the iUSBport works for me and does all that I need it to do, the upcoming new version looks even better. It all comes down to what works best for each person, they are both great devices and no reason to get into an argument over what is best, if AirStash works best for you then that's great but for others the iUSBport is going to float their boat.

It is a bit like all the different tablets on the market, competition breeds innovation and all of these devices will get better and better over time, which is great for all of us end users.

The Archangel

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Without wishing to get too involved in this I would say there is a big difference between iUSBport and other wifi drives.

I wish people wouldn't say this. These sorts of discussions of pros and cons and the reasonings behind our preferences are what make the threads useful. It's better for people to dig into this, so that people doing similar searches can get pros and cons of both sides and see what product aligns with their needs or sensibilities. You, BocatadeChoped, and dhewson have offered excellent perspectives on the strengths of the device and while it doesn't suit my needs, I now have an idea what to recommend to a friend looking for something similar.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
I wish people wouldn't say this. These sorts of discussions of pros and cons and the reasonings behind our preferences are what make the threads useful. It's better for people to dig into this, so that people doing similar searches can get pros and cons of both sides and see what product aligns with their needs or sensibilities. You, BocatadeChoped, and dhewson have offered excellent perspectives on the strengths of the device and while it doesn't suit my needs, I now have an idea what to recommend to a friend looking for something similar.

The reason I made that statement was twofold, firstly, I expected my post to be a whole lot shorter when I started typing and secondly, this thread is really about AirStash so I'm hijacking it (I'll thrash myself with some brambles later), but I thought as the iUSBport had been mentioned that I should put my, completely biased, point of view.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like the fact that these devices aren't all exactly the same. Knowing the pros and cons of each is a big plus. And that is what this forum is all about, IMO.

I like my Air Stash and will continue to use it. It is light and easy to charge. No special cabling is required. I went on travel this past weekend and forgot my little box that holds my SD cards....so when I got ready to watch something, I had the wrong card inside. Fortunately, I had managed to grab the portable hard drive so I was able to use my laptop to move files around. So, here is a case where all those SD cards can be a bit problematic. Also, the one SD card I did have with me is slow as molasses. I need to deal with that, too.

I could also have used my personal cloud - the Pogo Plug Series 4 - which has two usb 3.0 ports, a SATA interface for a 2.5inch drive, and a couple of usb 2.0 ports. I currently have a 1 TB 3.5-inch drive plugged in. I can stream movies over this from anywhere, but you need decent internet speeds for make this doable, which I didn't have at my dad's house. But I could have downloaded a movie to my laptop or iPad, if I wanted to. I can also play mp3s over the web this way, as well as move files. BTW, I see no reason to connect usb 3.0 devices to this because the speed is of no benefit when streaming. So the slower usb 2.0 stuff work best. The sata interface means you can plug a 2.5-inch mechancial HD right in. Or you can use a flash drive or a larger HD like I'm doing now.

I also am thinking of getting a iUSBport, too (yeah, I' m a nutty gadget freak with no kids).

I got a Gauntlet Node yesterday and have put a 2.5 inch SSD inside (for now) to see how I like it. One disadvantage I see for it in that you need special plugs and cables to use it. Charging it up requires a barrel style connector, so you need a special cable when traveling. Also, while it has usb 3.0 which is nice (for large files the transfer speed is great), it still requires a special cable for that, too. And while it fits in a pocket, it is still far larger than the AirStash and I suspect, the iUSBport as well. The one advantage it has over Air Stash is larger capacity drives....right now I have a 512 GB SSD inside it! :) I'll probably replace that with something else later (if I keep this)...but for now this is what I'm using to test it. It will take 2.5 inch SSD or HDs (laptop drives or portable HDs). I have lots of portable HDs sitting around, so I will probably rip one open to get to the HD inside. Again, if I keep this.

Most reactions

Latest posts