Air stash

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by lizzieh, Jan 20, 2013.

1. lizzieh

lizzieh
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Am I right in thinking this gadget will connect to my iPad wirelessly? Do I need a Card for it? What are its benefits, uses?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it lets you play music, movies, view photos that are stored on an sd card. Some apps can read and save files to it as well. Unlimited wireless storage.

3. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Wireless, yes. What do you mean by Card for it? Do you mean loading it with SD cards for storage, then yes.

4. BocataDeChoped

BocataDeChoped
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  5. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if I'd call that "portable." It weighs almost half a pound on its own, and you'll still need to bring along a storage device to plug into it. The AirStash is only 3 ounces and about the size of modern car key, so it's a much better solution on the go. I carry two 64GB SDHC cards, but they're half an ounce each.

#5 epb, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I have the iUSBport and it is no heavier than my company mobile phone and will fit in a trouser pocket however, you are correct about needing a storage device although I use a WD Passport which easily fits in a shirt pocket.

The Archangel

7. lizzieh

lizzieh
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses, I need to decide if I need, or desire one.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

8. BocataDeChoped

BocataDeChoped
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You can plug those very same SDHC cards on the iUSBport using a 3-buck adapter if you wish. Granted it is not as portable as the AirStash but it offers many more functions:

- You can plug on it almost any storage you already have (either directly though the USB ports or by using adapters)
    - It supports multiple filesystems (FAT, NTFS, EXT, HFS...) which it means you will never be bothered by file sizes (AirStash only supports FAT32 filesystem and 4 GB of max file size if I'm not mistaken)
    - It can turn an ethernet connection into a wireless connection by using an ethernet to USB adapter
    - It can provide internet access from a modem/computer and work as a router
    - On the future it will support new USB devices like an external DVD/Blue-ray drive for instance

9. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm very much against carrying additional gadgets and weight where possible. Carrying your iPad, your cell phone, and then adding this device and a portable drive - that doesn't seem like a big win to me.

I'm not criticizing the device itself, but rather its suitability as an iPad accessory. Only the first two of your points has any relevance for use with an iPad. It can't use the external DVD drive or ethernet capabilities, and even needing to work with 4GB+ files isn't a given for most users.

Just my thoughts.

10. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Demand suggests others like this sort of device. If not, the company making them would go bust. Some people are still portable with a messenger style bag that their iPad or MacBook Air can slip into, and has room for accessories like Bluetooth keyboards and other peripherals. They are not so tight on weight or space that such a device is an inconvenience.

Some will prefer the iUSBPort and other will like the Airstash, whilst others will go with the Wi Drive or Go Flex Satellite. It's all about personal preference for the task at hand.