What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affordable mobile wifi

kvmkvm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mobile WIFI solution:
I am paying $60.00 per Mo. For AT&T data plan with a quicksilver usb mobile modem(Unlimited minutes). My new IPAD ; is wifi only; AT&T does not have a mobile wifi hardware product.
After much web surfing I have found the CradlepointPHS300 mobile personal hot spot. This device takes my AT&T quicksilver usb modem and converts it into a mobile hot spot !; it is portable ; small; battery operated; allows car charging; and my ipad will run at blazing speed everywhere I get mobile coverage!.
The retail cost is $ 179.00 band can be found online for $ 160.00. The reviews I have read are very positive.
Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

Snoopyto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used cradle point and also used a netgear and a linksys. Personally, I like the cradlepoint MDR1000 because it can take the card as well as USB. However, the Netgear was far easier to use with my USB modem.

digriz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mifi 2372 for AT&T

Check out the new Novatel Wireless mifi 2372. Several places you can buy online for around $269. It has the ATT 3G frequencies (including 850 mhz) and you simply take your sim out of your usb device and put it in. Make sure to get the 2372 as the 2352 is for Europe.

Description.
Intelligent mobile hotspot for HSPA networks, optimized for Americas and capable of providing Internet connection for up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices. Integrated microSD slot for up to 16GB, shared over Wi-Fi.

wildm011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cradlepoint?

KVMKVM - did you wind up buying the Cradlepoint router? I'm considering as well, as I already have a USB 3G modem (don't need another account for the Novatel MiFi), and I'm wondering about 'downgrading' to the WiFi only iPad and using the roaming cradlepoint WiFi access as an alternative to the 3G iPad.
Wildm011

augie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Cradlepoint PHS300 and love it with my Verizon USB modem. Setup was a breeze, just insert the modem, turn it on and your good to go with a few basic settings. Its a lot easier to use it in an airport with my ipad than bring up the whole laptop just to check a few sites. The biggest reason I picked this one up was because it has the battery for about 2-3 hours since you can never find an outlet in an airport.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want portable WiFi on a budget, check out walkinghotspot.com

Downside, you have to have a compatible phone.... Upside, you will save a ton $ if you do. I personally use this, more for backup and I am totally impressed how well it works.

wildm011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AUGIE - Do you know if your cradlepoint PHS300 was Hardware version 1 or version 2? Apparently they made some changes to accommodate 4g and wimax. Is 2-3 hours the maximum life from a single charge? It looks like a nice 'single point' solution to funnel all wireless data charges through (laptop, iPad, +/- iPhone). It happens I have a USB 3G modem with an unlimited plan, so I'm thinking I should take advantage of it!
wildm011

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't mind using Sprint, their Overdrive mobile hotspot is decent. It's a 3/4G modem so if you're lucky enough to be in one of Sprint's 4G areas you can connect to that system and take advantage of the supposedly better speeds. In Honolulu I'm only getting moderate speeds via 4G, between 1M and 2.5M download. They claim up to 7M but I haven't seen anything close to that in 3 weeks of testing. The modem is a lot smaller than the Cradlepoint router and that setup would leave your USB modem hanging off the edge of the unit. With the Overdrive, I can leave the modem in my laptop bag and use the iPad on wifi no problems.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't mind using Sprint, their Overdrive mobile hotspot is decent. It's a 3/4G modem so if you're lucky enough to be in one of Sprint's 4G areas you can connect to that system and take advantage of the supposedly better speeds. In Honolulu I'm only getting moderate speeds via 4G, between 1M and 2.5M download. They claim up to 7M but I haven't seen anything close to that in 3 weeks of testing. The modem is a lot smaller than the Cradlepoint router and that setup would leave your USB modem hanging off the edge of the unit. With the Overdrive, I can leave the modem in my laptop bag and use the iPad on wifi no problems.

I have the Sprint Overdrive and had a chance to try the 4G in Portland a few weeks ago.. I didn't have a speed test App at the time but i can tell you Portland was blazing fast. Reminded be setting at home with my broadband connection. Downside,, by battery was gone within an hour. I'm assuming battery life in 4G is a lot worse in 3G areas cause im getting a little over two hours in my home 3G network. A car charger is a must have with these units. for sure..

augie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AUGIE - Do you know if your cradlepoint PHS300 was Hardware version 1 or version 2? Apparently they made some changes to accommodate 4g and wimax. Is 2-3 hours the maximum life from a single charge? It looks like a nice 'single point' solution to funnel all wireless data charges through (laptop, iPad, +/- iPhone). It happens I have a USB 3G modem with an unlimited plan, so I'm thinking I should take advantage of it!
wildm011

I have the V2 that will do the 3g/4g. I have not done a full stress test on the battery for constant use its quoted from 2-3hrs for battery life. I use mine on job sites and can get my laptop on my work VPN and play with the iPad while equipment is testing.

eflyersteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my son's HTC Tilt 2 as a wifi router. Software was free and cost is $10.00 a month unlimited data because I have a family texting plan and he is grandfathered on the older $10 plan. If I were to sign up today, cost would be $30.00 a month unlimited data.

I'd highly recommend using a phone that can support wifi router operation and a data plan. Much cheaper than $60 a month and a 5gb cap.

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score

jaycidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts