Affordable mobile wifi

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by kvmkvm, Mar 31, 2010.

1. augie

augie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have the V2 that will do the 3g/4g. I have not done a full stress test on the battery for constant use its quoted from 2-3hrs for battery life. I use mine on job sites and can get my laptop on my work VPN and play with the iPad while equipment is testing.

2. eflyersteve

eflyersteve
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use my son's HTC Tilt 2 as a wifi router. Software was free and cost is $10.00 a month unlimited data because I have a family texting plan and he is grandfathered on the older $10 plan. If I were to sign up today, cost would be $30.00 a month unlimited data.

I'd highly recommend using a phone that can support wifi router operation and a data plan. Much cheaper than $60 a month and a 5gb cap.

3. MrFuzz

MrFuzz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
  4. Sincere11105

Sincere11105
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand how craddlepoint actually works. Is it a cell company? If so how much is it per month? And I wonder if its available in NYC.

5. jaycidy

jaycidy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm also curious about this, once I buy this hardware what else will I need to have it up and running?

6. augie

augie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You still need a phone to tether or a USB cell modem to get it running. My work provides me with a VZW 3g modem so this just adds the ability to use the modem as a wifi hot spot. I wish I saw the buy.com price because I paid about 150 for mine

#16 augie, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  7. Mikeb41g

Mikeb41g
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Need a little help on connneecing

I am a little confused on this as I am not sure how to connect. If= IfI have a modem, how do I use USB as Ipad does not have a port
    If using any of the other suggestions in this thread, Please help some of us out and instruct us as to how to use them

Thanks

8. augie

augie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The 3G modem connects to the Cradlepoint router, starts up the modem and distributes it via wifi. It is completely separate from the iPad, laptop, or any other wifi device you have. You still need a 3G modem service from a service provider to get this going but its just an alternate to the iPad 3G since I already have 3G service and don't want to pay for additional service.
    Check the link for a bit more info: PHS300 Personal WiFi Hotspot - 3G/4G | Cradlepoint Technology

9. wildm011

wildm011
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I just ordered a Cradlepoint 300. I already have the Sierra 597 USB modem (unlimited plan for North America). I plan on using it to ease my data roaming costs for my iPhone as well. Once the 3g connection is converted to WiFi, the iPhone, iPad, iPods, laptops, etc. should all be able to use it.

The reason I began this search was to determine if the extra expense for a 3G-capable iPad was necessary. As long as it performs as expected, I'll skip the 3G-capability in the iPad, and stick with WiFi.

Cheers,
    wildm011