What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 mobile wifi modem

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,

I have a question regarding the use of a wifi only ipad2 and a "Three Mobile Wifi" pay as you go.

Its a small handheld modem that creates a wifi hot spot on the go and seems to me to be ideal for lite browsing/e-mail etc.

So what do you think, would this be usable?

heres a link- Three Mobile WiFi Pay as you go - The Carphone Warehouse

thanks.

Deejay.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one - on '3' - it's superb - no problems whatsoever!! Great battery life (I get about 4-5 hours), informative display, no setup issues (it's pre-configured), 3G everywhere - i.e. no GPRS or EDGE, great rates too. Highly recommended. Works great, of course, with the iPad - supports up to 5 users - great sensitivity, very small - in fact the publicity photos make it look larger than it is, slim and easily slips into your pocket.

Tim

OP
D

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers Tim, going to grab one now ;)
plus apple just e-mailed, my ipad 2 has shipped :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news about the iPad.

You'll love the MiFi. It really is great. There's an app for when it's plugged into your PC and an app for the iPad too, so you can check your data usage and configure your account. The interface to the iPad app is fairly naff - it more-or-less does nothing more than redirect you to the '3' website, but the website itself allows you to check your usage.

By the way, if you're planning on using it overseas, there's no problem - but you need to contact '3' first and get roaming authorised. It's not an issue, but you just need to remember to do it!!

Glad you'll be getting your iPad soon - enjoy!! (and if you have any problems/issues/comments/complaints - just let us know!!)

Tim

OP
D

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah yes, i do have another question about the 3mifi

The pay as you go option, it must be used within the time you pay for, but lets say it runs out do i need to get another straight away? or could i wait a month or whatever?

probably a stupid question but i have to kill time somehow until next Friday :p

cheers again.

Deejay.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not stupid at all!!

You can wait as long as you want - if your account runs out then, of course, you can't go anywhere except the '3' site (you can always go there). At the '3' site you can sign up for more data - or not - as you choose.

Once you sign up for more data, yes, you have to use that within a month - use it or lose it - but that's about the only restriction.

The great thing is that you can let your account 'lapse' - i.e. no more credit - for as long as you like and then, if you suddently need it, just log on (because you can always go to the '3' site) and sign up for another month's coverage.

Tim

Mjhudston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had one and it worked great. the only down side was the cost of the data. Vodafone now do a contract version in the UK which I am now using.

Sent from my iPad using iPF -- it's a cool app!

littlesue73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a 3 mifi when I had my 1gen iPad and it worked well, only topped it up when needed, my partner will probably use it now as he has my old iPad since I got my new iPad. I recommend it

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyonw know if you can use the likes of the preloaded 3 Data Sim only deals from Amazon in one of these?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Broadband-Preloaded-Mobile-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307358803&sr=8-1"]3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Sim: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

Edit. I just read the 'bought together' options and it appears you can.

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do they have a "pay as you go" model sold in the U.S. Thanks

OP
D

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quick question about the 3 WIFI, does it give you GPS? iirc the ipad 2 wifi version doesn't have GPS built in.
Its not a must have feature for me, just wondering.

Deejay (3 days to IP2)

Mjhudston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deejay said:
quick question about the 3 WIFI, does it give you GPS? iirc the ipad 2 wifi version doesn't have GPS built in.
Its not a must have feature for me, just wondering.

Deejay (3 days to IP2)

nope it doesn't

Sent from my iPad using iPF -- it's a cool app!

OP
D

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm, i am not so sure, i have since used the Ipad/3mifi at home and at work, and the map app always zoom to my location.
unless it gets the location some other way, it looks like some sort of gps.
i could be wrong ;)

Deejay.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm, i am not so sure, i have since used the Ipad/3mifi at home and at work, and the map app always zoom to my location.
unless it gets the location some other way, it looks like some sort of gps.
i could be wrong ;)

Deejay.

It definitely does not have GPS. A WiFi iPad gets its approximate location from a database of WiFi hotspot locations.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts