What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adobe Kills Flash For Android And Other Mobile Devices

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Today is the day Adobe finally killed Flash development for mobile devices. Flash is used to play your videos, games, and other popular things on the web. Every since the iPhone came out, one of the problems was that it didn't support Flash. This was a big deal since a lot of websites were build with Flash and were unable to be viewed within Safari. Apple was mainly trying to push everyone to start using HTML5 and other formats since they were safer. So finally Adobe has moved on to other things.

ZDNet had this to say:
"Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates."

Flash will still be updated with bug fixes and security updates for time to time, however that is the only attention it is going to get. So for all of those other devices out there Advertised with being able to support Flash, that's the last we'll see of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Phil, I really liked your talk above!! Pretty amazing that "Flash Flash" was a big selling point for android devices...and now it will no longer be! My initial tablet was an Android Tab--I thought I really needed flash support. Quite honestly, converting to apple--I realized I did not need flash anything. Every website that I have visited have not given me any problems. I am happy without it! Oh and those Farmville lovers that own an Android tablet--they will continue to be disappointed that their tabs limit them even more with this news!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
This is pretty impressive news as Adobe is the maker of Flash... It's far more crucial than Samsung announcing that they would not support flash anymore for example.

Whatever people are saying, I think that Adobe did a good move. From a technological point of view, everything is moving away from plugins. Remember when we had to install Reaplayer, a midi player, a video plugin (name your favorite), Java, Flash... Oh wait, Java and Flash are still there.. :)

Beside Flash, people were annoyed to have to install plugins. And in the last years, even Flash was getting on the dark side of the CPU/memory force.

Thanks Apple for taking the initiative...
Thanks to Adobe to take the initiative when they are good argument Laing point for a lot of device. Moving to a more common tech will just benefit everyone.

On a side note, Adobe killed Mobile Flash At a time when they could become a crucial key component in the mobile market. They must have their own Steve Jobs, having a better vision of the future...

VicoPad addict!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally.

Poison_Apple9agDetail-1.png

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sweetpoison (Marie)...I looooveeee your picture clip!! How funny is that!! :);)

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash, hard drives and USB drives.. the medias of the past.
Let's go HTML 5 and flash memory.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

Hear, hear!

I got SO tired of all the "It needs Flash to be great!" and "When are we gonna get Flash on the iPad?" whining and debate that I found myself sticking my fingers into my ears, closing my eyes and saying really loud; "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!" even when READING such diatribe.

Now, we can all move on with our lives and get back to the REALLY IMPORTANT debate....

Toilet Paper: Leading Sheet On The Roll Facing In Or Out?

Bye, Flash. Been nice knowing ya.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Attachments

• image-3917596833.png
    image-3917596833.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 514

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hear, hear!

I got SO tired of all the "It needs Flash to be great!" and "When are we gonna get Flash on the iPad?" whining and debate that I found myself sticking my fingers into my ears, closing my eyes and saying really loud; "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!" even when READING such diatribe.

Now, we can all move on with our lives and get back to the REALLY IMPORTANT debate....

Toilet Paper: Leading Sheet On The Roll Facing In Or Out?

Bye, Flash. Been nice knowing ya.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
Out. ;)

sbrown2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I for one am going to miss flash. On occasion I run into a website saying I need flash while using my IPad. I hate it when I have to go to a computer to see the website. I was hoping apple would change their minds and allow flash so I won't have to be at a disconvenience again.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He seems to drift between "no flash for mobiles" and "no flash at all", when the actuality is the former. Problem is there is a huge installed base of websites with flash content, and if they cater primarily to desktops, they are not going to rush to html5, etc.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Blah blah blah blah la la la la la la blah blah blah!"

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the iPhone first came out, the griping first started out about no Flash support. When the iPad hit the market, the complaints really got going. However, Adobe has been trying now for five years to make a mobile version of it, with no success. What has been put out has left users unhappy. Adobe cannot afford the amount of money they have put in Flash mobile considering the results. They have to get on with the future to survive. The end of attempts at mobile Flash, means that Flash for computers is on its way to the graveyard of dead technologies. This is just a part of the natural evolution of computering systems.

For those with mobile devices, this is a great thing. The developers recognize how important the mobile market is, and they are going to cater to it. That means more and more games, videos, and graphics will go from being Flash based, to newer and better technologies. Heck for those who want instant gratification, but great for the long term benefits for all.

Most reactions

Latest posts