What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding new files/apps to pre-owned iPad

calico

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, I just received a pre-owned iPad that already has apps installed, now I want to add my songs and buy apps and books but the iTunes thing is a little confusing.

so obviously my iTunes account is new and empty, if i tried to buy apps and attempt to sync it to the iPad, will it erase all the apps that were already in the iPad?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you sync it to your account, yep, you lose everything from the previous owner. Make note of any apps you like and plan on purchasing them.

OP
C

calico

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yikes, and there's no way to save them?

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry.

The apps are associated with one iTunes acct.
Once you associate the iPad with a different account, you only have apps associated with the new account.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yikes, and there's no way to save them?
If there was, everyone could share everything from the iTunes store, rendering the services paid for moot...one person would buy, everyone could share. Like illegal mp3s. Hope you didn't buy it with those apps as a selling point.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember when I sold my iPhone 1st gen with "$300 worth of apps" (Installous*cough*) for $360. Poor sucker lost them all after syncing LOL.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have purchases from 3 different accounts on my ipad. As long as all accounts are authorized on the device you're syncing to, you can have apps from those accounts. My son, daughter and I all buy apps using our own accounts and share them.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have purchases from 3 different accounts on my ipad. As long as all accounts are authorized on the device you're syncing to, you can have apps from those accounts. My son, daughter and I all buy apps using our own accounts and share them.
My Dad and I do the same thing. He has an iPhone and I have an iPad. He authorized his iTunes account with the laptop I use to sync with my iPad and I am able to download any app he has already purchased (which is great cause he had already bought LogMeIn Ignition, a $30 universal app).

Note that you can only have up to 5 computers authorized with your iTunes account, and you should only share your account with someone you trust such as a family member.

Most reactions

Latest posts