What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding email folders

cshlagor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I add email folders? I saw somewhere on a discussion page that I needed to do this through web client but I gave no idea whet that means. Can someone make it simple for me?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I add email folders? I saw somewhere on a discussion page that I needed to do this through web client but I gave no idea whet that means. Can someone make it simple for me?

There is no way to directly add folders in the iPad's native Mail app. However, depending on how your email is set up, the iPad can display folders that were created on your service provider's email server.

There are two protocols that are used to receive email - an old protocol called POP (Post Office Protocol) and a newer one called IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).

Most service providers support both protocols, though a few still only support POP. If your service provider only supports POP or you've configured your email to use POP, then there is no way that you can have mail folders on your iPad.

If your service provider supports IMAP, if you've configured your email to use IMAP or if you change from POP to IMAP then you can have folders.

IMAP provides a virtual 'window' from your iPad to your service provider's email server. Whatever structure is set up on your email server will be reflected on the iPad.

So, you first need to determine whether you're using IMAP ('Settings', 'Email, Calendar, Contacts', 'Accounts') and, if not, switch to IMAP assuming your service provider supports this. If you let us know who your service provider is, we may be able to help you set this up or let you know whether this is possible.

Then you need to use Webmail to establish the folder arrangement that you want to see on your iPad. Most service providers offer webmail and, from there, you can create folders. Once they've been created using webmail they'll be reflected in what you see on your iPad using IMAP.

OK - there's quite a lot to take in here, so have a look, see whether you're POP or IMAP and get back to us....

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts