What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

activation ipad

gatta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello,
I bought an iPad, but it is linked to an apple account and I do not have the login and password for this account.
how I do to activate it.
thank you for your help

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, gatta! Welcome to iPF!

Without the help of the previous owner it will be impossible to activate it, if it's up to date (latest software is 7.0.4). He will have to remove your device from iCloud: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4515

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the iPad was purchased through a medium such as Amazon or eBay, you can return the device for a full refund with no questions asked, and the medium will pursue the owner for the reimbursement.

miezuonline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have some problem with my ipad mini 2 :(
Apple su*ks
Pad & iPod Touch Support Not Available For Now. soo waittttt

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have some problem with my ipad mini 2 :( Apple su*ks YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sI9uR01XM Pad & iPod Touch Support Not Available For Now. soo waittttt

That's an interesting link you have posted and it just may go on to help others who have bought a locked iPhone to be able to get in touch with the past owner. So thank you for that.

I don't agree with you about Apple sucking though. If this new feature saves me having to worry about others trying to steal my devices and also gives me much more of a chance of getting back a lost device, then I for one love this new feature. It has always been the onus of a buyer to make sure that the product they are buying is in working order, although I can see how in this case it could also catch many unawares.

To the OP.....you will need to get in touch with whoever you bought the iPad from to fix your issue......

willerz2 also has a great suggestion if you have bought through these sites.

Good luck with your issue!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To tack on a little (and for future reference or other readers), here's a little checklist or procedural list that any user buying an iOS device (new or used) from the internet should do, particularly if you're not buying through a commodities giant such as eBay or Amazon, which I posted on the sister iPhoneForums. It goes as a supplement to Apple's official iOS 7 iCloud deactivation support post, and does not replace it by any means.
  1. sealed, no one has used it yet, no AppleIDs have been logged for that device, and you have assurance that you can use your device. Now, even if the device is claimed to be sealed, there is still a level of risk to it as there are machines that can rewrap the box in the same fashion.
  2. If the device is unsealed in any way (do not take the buyer’s word that the device was just unwrapped to look at, and was never turned on), it’s best to not purchase the device unless you are meeting the seller up in person.
  3. If you still decide to buy a device online, it’s best to purchase your device using a medium such as eBay or Amazon. Or, purchase a refurbished device through Apple or electronic giants. You’d want this medium so that you’re guaranteed that your device is up and running. If something is wrong with the device, you can always return it. In the case of eBay or Amazon, if you’re not satisfied, return it to eBay or Amazon, they will reimburse you with the cost of the transaction, and they will chase the seller for the reimbursement and then some.
  4. If possible, get the device on an older iOS, then upgrade yourself. That way, you’ll be certain of the fact that when restoring, you will not have issues. Note that this is only a failsafe on Wifi-only devices. Cellular devices still run the risk of having bad IMEI/ESN.
  5. Most importantly, for iPhones and cellular iPads, you MUST request an IMEI picture. Yes, picture of the IMEI number. Picture, not screenshot, a good old fashioned picture. Have that person take a picture of the IMEI on the phone with a phrase of your choice written on a piece of paper.

What’s the reasoning? It tells you one of two things. One, you’re aware that the user is not just taking another picture from another device being sold online and using it as their “proof”. By having a slip of paper with your choice of phrase written on it within the picture, you’ll know that it’s taken in real time. Two, with the IMEI in the picture, you can check the IMEI online (there are quite a few free sources that you can use). If the IMEI and ESN are clean and are not registered with a carrier currently, that makes the offer one step closer to being made.
  6. If you purchase a device through a physical meeting, it’s best to do it at a supported carrier store. Example, if you’re buying an iPhone or cellular iPad that works for carrier X, meet up and use/activate the device with a representative at the local store to ensure that the device is working, then pay the seller for the device. If they have nothing to hide, and the transaction is legitimate, they will not object to you activating or paying half first for the device.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What willerz2 said. :)

And, if you watch this video, it just proves that a person must exercise due caution when buying a used iDevice. The video showed there is a way to access the locked phone - but it's not really accessible. So, always use due diligence when buying a used device.

Marilyn

miezuonline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts