What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? About using mouse with iPad

Elorahd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to build my own website through WordPress with the Divi theme. They recently updated it with a front end visual builder that utilizes "hovering" a lot for the menus. I can still access those on my iPad just by touching the screen but it gets a little cluttered because it shows all the menus at once. There are other things I've noticed I can't do like move the sections or resize them using the touch screen, which is something you should be able to do with this new builder. What I'm wondering about a mouse is, if I connected one, would I then have access to the hover technology and be able to move and resize things with it, or is the cursor just an extension of your finger and won't do anything more than if you touched the screen? Is there maybe another browser or something in a jailbreak that would enable me to use all the functionality of this new builder? I REALLY don't want to have to pull out my clunky old laptop to create this website.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no mouse support for iPads unless you jailbreak, and no jailbreak for the current verion of iOS.

Unfortunately I don't know of any WordPress CMS that has a mobile friendly site, and the only Wordpress app in the store is limited to making blog entries. I'm not sure why WordPress has so little support for mobile and tablets, but that's the way it is for now.

However, I do have one solution you might try. The Puffin Browser has virtual trackpad/mouse support. It does this because it's main purpose was/is to suport Adobe Flash sites. These often need mouse pointers to work probably, especially the games. It's not an ideal solution, but it might work. The is a Puffin Free version of the browser you can try for a few days to see if it will do what you want.

Because Flash will not run on an iPad, Puffin actually runs all sites through a Flash capable remote browser and reserves it too the iPad. There are a couple of consiquences to this. One, browsing speed can be affected by the server's load, so there may be more delays than usual. Second, while Puffin says it is encrypting all traffic (and I believe them) the fact that your are viewing a site through another server increases security risks, if only slightly. It't probably not the best browser to use for financial or other sensitive transactions.

Aside:
There are a couple of website creation apps for iOS, but as far as I know none of them are based on WordPress, and they tend to be more limited than the highly configurable WordPress standard. The last one I played with was Weebly, which would be good enough for me and the basic blog I'm occationally about to start, but probably won't meet the needs of someone who is already playing with WordPress.

OP
Elorahd

Elorahd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had the Puffin browser for a while as there are some sites I need to use that still run stupid Flash. I tried WordPress on it but I still couldn't move or resize everything.

Is there really not a jailbreak for the current version?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .Is there really not a jailbreak for the current version?

Afraid not. Nor the previous two versions of iOS 9.

This isn't limited to WordPress. Most of the web based site creation tools/platforms have limited or non-existent compatibility with iOS (and most other mobile web browsers); and very few of those platforms have full featured apps as alternatives to the web tools.

Most reactions

Latest posts