A newbie needs help please re:OS

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by fancypants, Nov 17, 2017.

1. fancypants

fancypants
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an Ipad 2017. It came with the OS 10.3.3 and I have not done anything since purchase in August.
    It now keeps asking me to upgrade to 11
    can you tell me if I should do this. Will I experience problems or is it reliable.
    Thanks for any help..

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are a small percentage of users who experience problems with any new OS update but on the whole there are more benefits in updating. iOS updates contain security fixes, feature updates, and bug fixes. You can do the update OTA or through iTunes on your computer. In any case, its always a good idea to back up your iPad before updating.

#2 scifan57, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  3. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    As long as you don't rely on any 32-bit apps, you should enjoy the update. In the Settings app, check General > Applications, which will list any 32-bit apps on your iPad. If no 64-bit updates for them are available, they will not run under iOS 11. I lost one old game and a few old apps I didn't use or need anyway. No regrets.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    [QUOTE="fancypants, post: 1133146, member: 332034"]I have an Ipad 2017. It came with the OS 10.3.3 and I have not done anything since purchase in August.
    It now keeps asking me to upgrade to 11
    can you tell me if I should do this. Will I experience problems or is it reliable.....[/QUOTE]

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide some additional information, i.e. your description in bold above gives us no information as to the iPad model you are using - is this a new device, a used iPad, or a refurbished model - this might well impact on your concerns. SO, to help us, go to Settings -> General -> About and copy your 'model number' (first pic below w/ blue circle), then go to the Lookup Page of EveryMac (click the link) - enter your model number into the circled area in the second pic below - tell us exactly what iPad you own. Dave
    iPad1.PNG iPad2.png

5. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hi Fancypants, it is very straightforward to update your iPad. Make sure you back it up first. The simplest way is using iCloud.
    You can go to Settings - General - Software update and tap to download and instal. It is a good idea to plug your iPad into a power source. You will be asked for your password at some stage.
    Any questions, just ask.

6. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yep the iPad won’t upgrade the iOS if the battery gets below 50 when you do it.

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It will if you're plugged into a charger.

8. fancypants

fancypants
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again all. Here is my info that giradman asked for. My ipad is a 9.7 ipad 5th gen.
    I think I will take advice here and backup my iPad , then give the new os 11 a try.
    Thanks

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again - well, there is no iPad 5th generation, after the 4th one, Apple released the Air & Air 2; there newest release in 2017 is simply called the iPad - assume that is the one your own (see the pic below from Wiki) - at any rate, you should have not problem upgrading to iOS 11.1.2 (the newest version). Good luck - Dave :)

P.S. unless you bought one of the Pro versions (if you had followed the directions in my previous post, EveryMac's lookup service would have identified the specific model).
    Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 10.58.30 AM.png

10. fancypants

fancypants
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Giradman,
    Thanks for the info.
    I did follow your advice exactly and that is the name that was shown for my model.
    5th generation