What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A newbie needs help please re:OS

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 2017. It came with the OS 10.3.3 and I have not done anything since purchase in August.
It now keeps asking me to upgrade to 11
can you tell me if I should do this. Will I experience problems or is it reliable.
Thanks for any help..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a small percentage of users who experience problems with any new OS update but on the whole there are more benefits in updating. iOS updates contain security fixes, feature updates, and bug fixes. You can do the update OTA or through iTunes on your computer. In any case, its always a good idea to back up your iPad before updating.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As long as you don't rely on any 32-bit apps, you should enjoy the update. In the Settings app, check General > Applications, which will list any 32-bit apps on your iPad. If no 64-bit updates for them are available, they will not run under iOS 11. I lost one old game and a few old apps I didn't use or need anyway. No regrets.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
[QUOTE="fancypants, post: 1133146, member: 332034"]I have an Ipad 2017. It came with the OS 10.3.3 and I have not done anything since purchase in August.
It now keeps asking me to upgrade to 11
can you tell me if I should do this. Will I experience problems or is it reliable.....[/QUOTE]

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide some additional information, i.e. your description in bold above gives us no information as to the iPad model you are using - is this a new device, a used iPad, or a refurbished model - this might well impact on your concerns. SO, to help us, go to Settings -> General -> About and copy your 'model number' (first pic below w/ blue circle), then go to the Lookup Page of EveryMac (click the link) - enter your model number into the circled area in the second pic below - tell us exactly what iPad you own. Dave
iPad1.PNG
iPad2.png

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Fancypants, it is very straightforward to update your iPad. Make sure you back it up first. The simplest way is using iCloud.
You can go to Settings - General - Software update and tap to download and instal. It is a good idea to plug your iPad into a power source. You will be asked for your password at some stage.
Any questions, just ask.

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again all. Here is my info that giradman asked for. My ipad is a 9.7 ipad 5th gen.
I think I will take advice here and backup my iPad , then give the new os 11 a try.
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks again all. Here is my info that giradman asked for. My ipad is a 9.7 ipad 5th gen.
I think I will take advice here and backup my iPad , then give the new os 11 a try.

Hi again - well, there is no iPad 5th generation, after the 4th one, Apple released the Air & Air 2; there newest release in 2017 is simply called the iPad - assume that is the one your own (see the pic below from Wiki) - at any rate, you should have not problem upgrading to iOS 11.1.2 (the newest version). Good luck - Dave :)

P.S. unless you bought one of the Pro versions (if you had followed the directions in my previous post, EveryMac's lookup service would have identified the specific model).
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 10.58.30 AM.png

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman,
Thanks for the info.
I did follow your advice exactly and that is the name that was shown for my model.
5th generation

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman,
Thanks for the info.
I did follow your advice exactly and that is the name that was shown for my model.
5th generation

Well, no problem at all - the term '5th Generation' has been used before in some discussions, but believe Apple has never been one of them, as their naming sequence does not include the name - may be others will 'chime in' w/ more comments and insights. Dave :)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While Apple did not officially use the name 5th generation iPad, the iPad that followed the 4th generation iPad was the iPad Air and is what many people call the 5th generation iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple uses the term 5th generation for the iPad (not iPad Pro) that came out this year. It’s visible on their site:
562E99AF-2ADA-4E1C-ACD2-3468F01B9753.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple uses the term 5th generation for the iPad (not iPad Pro) that came out this year. It’s visible on their site:
View attachment 80507

Thanks Johanna - guess that I never took a closer look @ that iPad - doesn't make a lot of sense to me w/ 2 iPads w/ 'Air' in their description in between; but they did the same w/ the iPhone X, i.e. skipping '9' , however, a little more logical as the 10th anniversary of the phone. :) Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna - guess that I never took a closer look @ that iPad - doesn't make a lot of sense to me w/ 2 iPads w/ 'Air' in their description in between; but they did the same w/ the iPhone X, i.e. skipping '9' , however, a little more logical as the 10th anniversary of the phone. :) Dave

Like the MacBook Air line, Apple considered the iPad Air models to be different kind of iPad; lighter and with better screens. When they went back to the iPad (not Air) name they also went back to a heavier iPad with a lesser screen (though only slightly in each case).

Apple also (mostly) killed their MacBook Air laptop line and released similarly designed MacBooks, with similar tradeoffs.

They do this every so often when the choices start getting too complicated; revert to just basic and pro models. With the iPhone lineup getting complicated, I expect they will do something similar there in a year or two.

Most reactions

Latest posts