1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

A lead with VGA and USB !!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by andyhind, Apr 10, 2011.

1. andyhind

andyhind iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Everyone
    I am new to the Ipad and was trying to find out whether I can get a lead with both a VGA connection and USB connection. I am an educational consultant and do alot of training. I intend to use the Ipad for the presentations but also want to move slides on as I move around the room. I know I connect to a projector but also want to use a 'clicker' ....... Or is there another solution?
    Thanks
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    When you say you want to use a 'clicker' what application are you hoping to use on the iPad that would accept input from such a device? I'm not aware of any - the iPad's USB connection has limited capabilities.

Tim
  3. andyhind

andyhind iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Tim
    I use a Kensington romote control for my powerpoint presentations. This has a USB that is inserted into my laptop and enables me to move around whilst presenting
  4. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    The setup with VGA is not a good solution, even if you were to find a USB device cable of turning slides.

Currently, the only adapter with two outlets is the HDMI adapter, which let's you connect HDMI as well as USB. But you need to convert HDMI to VGA, again there is no direct cable, so in the end, you would need:
    -30pin->HDMI&USB (cable)
    -HDMI->DVI (cable)
    -DVI->VGA (cable)

A better solution would be to use 2 iOS devices, connect one to the projector via VGA and stream the screen of the other device to the one connected to the projector. That way you could change slides on the device you hold in your hands and the screen simply gets mirrored.
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The difficulty, is that this device will not work with the iPad. DontUnderstandMyIpad has made some good suggestions, though. One way would be to use a remote desktop onto a PC which you could control from your iPad. You could wander around the lecture theatre and change the slides on your PC from the touch screen interface of the iPad using remote desktop software such as Splashtop - they do a free 'try before you buy' version.

Tim