What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of (hopefully) basic questions...

Tedology

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

New iPad owner here with some questions that hopefully don't sound TOO dumb. :)

1. What are your recommendations for apps? Any "must-haves"? (ie. apps that make operating the iPad that much easier)

2. A year or so ago I had a bad experience with identity theft. It seems that somebody got my information from apple.com (or their databases) and purchased a Macbook Pro using the credit card on file. (At least that is the suspicion). Since then, I'm hesitant to enter credit card information on apple.com. However, I'd like to one day be able to use 3G with my iPad (64 GB, 3G). Any suggestions? I usually buy an iTunes gift card to purchase apps, music, videos, etc... but that's not an option with the 3G plans. I could purchase a Visa gift card... but since it's recurring, that really isn't an option. (unless I a) cancel and re-purchase each month or b) buy a large enough Visa gift card to use) :) Any other ideas for somebody who is a bit worried about giving apple.com their credit card information would be appreciated.

3. Is there a YouTube app that I'm missing? Or to watch YouTube videos, do I just go through Safari?

Thanks for any other additional tips/advice you can offer. It's greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll answer in reverse order:
There is a YouTube app, it's icon looks like an old TV, but in reality, if you click in a YouTube video, it opens automatically.

I only use gift cards exclusively, both for budgetary and privacy reasons.

My only must-have app recommendation I'd GoodReader. Apple should have included it as a default program called iStuff or MiiDocuments.

There are more apps than I can describe, but if you want to try, always look for a free version first. My "wow" apps that I show every curious friend are GrooveMaker and AirVideo, I know there is a free trial of GrooveMaker at least. You'll probably need a desktop video converter eventually, and my favorite (free) is FormatFactory, but many also recommend HandBrake.

Welcome!

OP
T

Tedology

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi NumbLock, and thanks very much for taking time to answer! :)

Yes, I found GoodReader right away and you're right... it's DEFINITELY a must-have.

So are you saying it IS possible to use gift cards to purchase 3G service? I could have sworn that a screenshot I saw only offered ways of payment as Visa, MasterCard, American Express. Perhaps I was not looking in the correct place.

Again, I appreciate your response. :)

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My frequently used productivity apps are:

MobileRSS for reading my RSS subscribed via Google (synching works great)
DocumentsToGo for creating/editing docs and spreadsheets
Dropbox for in-the-cloud storage and access to files
Corkulous for sticky-notes for projects like house remodel, stuff I want, etc

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I second Air Video. The ability to stream films from your main computer to the iPad is a quiet pleasure. Smooth conversion on the fly while you watch in comfort and dream of all the storage you are saving.

I also like Eyewitness (free), Art Authority, Evernote (free) and Pulse a news aggregator. All worth a look.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So are you saying it IS possible to use gift cards to purchase 3G service?

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the question. I was talking about buying apps without credit card. My local (Swiss) telco just bills me so they don't have my credit card onto either.

I can't say for sure how your telecom works exactly.

OP
T

Tedology

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purpleorchid, Hasty, and NumbLock, thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll check them out.

I've heard of Documents to Go so I'll definitely want to look at that. Seems quite handy. :)

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, format factory does not decrypt movie files on a store purchased DVD. You must rip the DVD to the hard drive with a program like AnyDVD, or many others.

Most reactions

Latest posts