64GB Model Usage

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by AQ_OC, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

Now we have a higher resolution 2080x1536 retina display, how many of you have re-ripped a few movies to take advantage of the better display ?

I just wondered.. I've only done 2 HD versions ripped at the full resolution for my iPad3, which I did from Bluray discs, and there is no doubting they look better as one would expect, but instead of the usual 1gb approx for a 2hr film the size increase is quite a lot at around 4Gb dependant on rip settings obviously. I think the increase in size is just too high a price to pay, as normal rips tend to look pretty good anyway on iPads, and while the HD rips look better, I certainly would'nt say they looked 4x better. Infact I would say they look about 30/35% better... so IOW not really viable.. JMO. I now just keep one HD movie on my iPad 3 now, for times when I want to show off the screen to someone..:) and it just happens to be my Favourite film too.

What's your thoughts..? will you be ripping movies at higher resolution, or not ?

#11 Lunar, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have 500 gb free

on my satellite go flex wifi drive and another 32 gb on my Airstash.

3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Not worth it. Files too big, takes too long to transfer, longer to encode, and you need to be within a foot to see the benefit of the higher res. better to just rip to 720p.

4. dumchidumchi

dumchidumchi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am doing 1080p rip in MP4 in 2-pass. Love the result!

5. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

Thats pretty much my conclusion too, ripping a 2hr film at 720x480 usually takes around 15 to 20mins, but ripping a Bluray takes a couple of hours+, and I have quite a fast PC too. The gain in pic quality is not worth a 4x increase in size and long rip times. Probably okay if you just want to keep a couple of films on the iPad, but I tend to put quite a lot on mine, so I for one will be sticking with standard sizes.

6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm a year in with my 64 gig iPad 2. Been about half way full since the beginning. I've got about 3 films and 15 albums on it - in that time listened to about 5 of them and never once yet watched a film. What am I doing wrong?

7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    You don't travel enough and get stuck in hotel rooms with nothing better to do. :) (That's a good thing, really.)

8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I guess you're not joking.

Correct. I do like to read on it a fair bit, but my iPad is generally a work horse for me (and a games horse for my nephew). I never take it away on trips or holidays with me, and never find the time to listen to music or watch films on it, even though I use it for 10+ hours a day :p

9. Hivoltage

Hivoltage
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have 30 Gig left, I am glad I got the 64 I will always have space left!!

10. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like you need more leisure time..lol We are retired pensioners, and have a lot of holidays, usually around 8 in a good year. In a few weeks time we are off again for 3 weeks touring, we are driving down to Italy, with a few days in Rome and Venice, back up into Austria, and Switzerland, and I shall be watching quite a few films off my iPad during the trip while in the Hotels. The iPad is also useful for booking the Hotels at our next stop, we used to take along a laptop, but the iPads are ideal.

(We did same run 2 years ago) It's handy too for the odd short break. I hate flying, and as I like driving and cars are another of my passions, if we go to Spain for a few weeks we drive down. Also If one or more of the grandchildren are with us on holiday (about once or twice a year) the iPads get secured to the rear of the headrest so they can watch a film in the rear of the car if they wish, can be handy on long trips. Indeed the wife herself will occasionally sit in the rear and watch a film occasionally.

Admittedly I don't need the 30+ films I've put on mine either, but I regard them as my own personal collection of favourite films, and there's plenty of space for them anyway. I like Wales a lot and holiday on Anglesey a couple times a year, but there's a big wide world to explore outside of Wales. I don't know your age obviously, but I think when you retire, and of course most people tend to have more spare cash by then, then you will perhaps want to get away from home occasionally, so toys like the iPad really come into their own.

Incidently I have a few games on mine too, Rage, Golf, and a couple of Pool/Snooker type games, plus Scrabble and Chess, though I do tend to play Chess more on my iPhone. The wife has her own games on hers. It doesn't matter what you use it for, as long as you or someone else gets pleasure using it, AYS it can be quite a useful business tool as well, though I think compared to a decent laptop or PC it does have limitations, but can still be useful.

#20 Lunar, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012