What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Row Keyboard installation issues

tfly212

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I added the 5 row keyboard to a jailbroken Ipad2 running 5.1.1 but I cannot seem to get it to work properly. I followed the directions and also tried uninstalling and reinstalling winterboard and the 5 row keyboard, did multiple reboots, etc. The theme does not appear in winterboard, but the 5 row keyboard does show in settings. If I bring up the keyboard I get 5 rows in Mongolian only, if I tap the globe I go back to english, but only get 4 rows. I either need to learn mongolian really fast or need some assistance. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
5 Row Keyboard for iPad has not been compatible with any version of IOS 5.x on any model of iPad as far as I know. Sorry :(

The only working 5 row keyboard I am aware of is iKeywi HD. It has been working fine up till 5.1.1 but there is currently a bug where it is not Auto-Capitalising the start of new sentences. Apart from that it seems to be working fine for me. This same bug existed on 5.0.1 but was quickly fixed by the author, so we are hopeful that a fix for 5.1.1 will come soon.

Hope that helps.

OP
T

tfly212

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's perfect...works like a charm. This was the one thing that drove me crazy versus android devices...not being able to customize the keyboard. Thanks very much.

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5 Row Keyboard for iPad has not been compatible with any version of IOS 5.x on any model of iPad as far as I know. Sorry :(

The only working 5 row keyboard I am aware of is iKeywi HD. It has been working fine up till 5.1.1 but there is currently a bug where it is not Auto-Capitalising the start of new sentences. Apart from that it seems to be working fine for me. This same bug existed on 5.0.1 but was quickly fixed by the author, so we are hopeful that a fix for 5.1.1 will come soon.

Hope that helps.

the update for the Ikeywi - 5 row keyboard has been posted at cydia .. it addresses the bug issue for auto capitalisation and added other feature ..

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sebjsan said:
Ikeywi crashes notability for me.

just ensure that you installed ikeywi HD for ipad .. not "ikeywi" which for iphone ..

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sebjsan said:
Ikeywi crashes notability for me.

ikeywi works partially on notability app .. it works when typing the header / title for the new notes ..

notability then crashes when selecting the type of pen to write on the notes ...

i might be wrong, but my guess is noteability app needs the update for 5.1.1 ? ?

koenan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The earlier posts about it not working are referring to a different tweak.

The OP has "5 Row Customizable Keyboard" by Ganbold

This DOES work and the OP was 1 step away from having it work.

@OP You dont do anything with winterboard. After you install this from Cydia you have to go enable it in Keyboards (which you did correctly).

Now, what the instructions leave out is that you have to then go to the 5 row Customizable settings pane and then type the keys out. The tweak does not come with a preset keyboard and if you dont it a layout it defaults to the mongolian keys.

So in the tweaks settings pane you see this(not exactly but close):

Row 1 (11 Chars)
Row 2 (11 Chars)
Row 3 (11 Chars)
Row 4 (11 Chars)

Now initially those are blank and appear just like above. You have to manually type in the list of keys for each row.

So here is what it may look like after you fill it out:

Row 1 (11 Chars) asdfghjkl
Row 2 (11 Chars) qwertyuiop
Row 3 (11 Chars) zxcvbnm
Row 4 (11 Chars) 1234567890

So then my keyboard would be set up according to those letters on each row.

Now if a row says 11 chars and you put 12 or 10 then the row won't render and a Mongolian row displays.

The instructions are terrible but I can assure this works and I am using it now.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, seems the OP was confusing the instructions for 5-Row Keyboard for iPad with this other tweak. Unfortunately, failing to give it its proper name and mentioning the Winterboard configuration which is a part of the other tweak confused things.

It's good to know there is another alternative, although iKeywil still works well for me as I don't utilise split keyboards at all any more...

Toxic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am stumped on this same exact thing. I installed Ganbold's 5 row keyboard. I've typed in all the keys. I've also tried letting it load the keys with the alphabets that come with 5 row keyboard. I went to settings/general/keyboard/international keyboards and selected 5 row keyboard. I've resprung itseveral times and I just keep getting the stock keyboard. I'm pretty new to iOS, so I'm not sure if there is something else I'm missing. Can anyone provide any info on this?

Running this on iPad 1 ver 5.1.1

Edit: Never mind, I just figured it out. I didn't know I also had to delete the English keyboard. I deleted that keyboard and it works fine now.

Last edited:

KingVII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5 Row Keyboard works fine for me. But in the case where I use iPhone-only apps, such as WeChat, Line, WhatsApp, ect. on iPad, the keyboard doesn't work. It just shows its original Russian characters.

Most reactions

Latest posts