What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g version

Stevies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 3g version iPad and have yet to set up the data (3g) account, before I do so, I have a question, is it billed monthly even if you don't use it? Can it be turned off & on when you need it? Or is the 3g portion billed similar to a cellular phone account, Monthly with very limited suspend privileges.....

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is billed monthly but I do use it so I cannot be absolutely sure. My 3G turns on when I do not have WiFi access, I guess it is kind of automatic. My 3G is billed to my CC that I used to sign up for it when I bought my iPad. There is an option to turn it off in the settings (along with Roaming), you can also view your acount and data usage from there as well.

harv2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 3g version iPad and have yet to set up the data (3g) account, before I do so, I have a question, is it billed monthly even if you don't use it? Can it be turned off & on when you need it? Or is the 3g portion billed similar to a cellular phone account, Monthly with very limited suspend privileges.....

You can pay for the connection at will. Once you've started it for a given month, you've paid for the month (and I believe that is a month from when you turn it on), then turn it off and at the end of the month you won't be billed until you turn it on again (turn it on is identified as a deliberate "I want to pay the bill and connect" type action, not an accidental connect. It's all quite civilized and clean. I have not actually turned it off because I'm one of those with unlimited service that I'm loath to lose, but what I've stated is my understanding and expectation.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can pay for the connection at will. Once you've started it for a given month, you've paid for the month (and I believe that is a month from when you turn it on), then turn it off and at the end of the month you won't be billed until you turn it on again (turn it on is identified as a deliberate "I want to pay the bill and connect" type action, not an accidental connect. It's all quite civilized and clean. I have not actually turned it off because I'm one of those with unlimited service that I'm loath to lose, but what I've stated is my understanding and expectation.
To clarify, "at will" is in one month increments. :)

Also, as I understand it you don't have to wait till the end of the month to cancel. You can cancel early your data will still be active till the end of the month, or till you use up your allotment, whichever comes first.

Michael

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To clarify, "at will" is in one month increments. :)

Also, as I understand it you don't have to wait till the end of the month to cancel. You can cancel early your data will still be active till the end of the month, or till you use up your allotment, whichever comes first.

Michael

This is true. You set up an account, choose your poison, and you're good for a month or until you've used the allotted amount of data whichever comes first. You can cancel from your iPad at anytime and complete the prepaid month/data session without losing any due. You can keep it running and be billed auto renewal. If you use your allotted data you will be notifies to rep your subscription early. If you don't cancel you'll have several emails and popups you know your prepaid time is about to expire. It really is a no worry set up.

Most reactions

Latest posts