What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g sim in Rhodes, Greece

AJLComputers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am taking the iPad to Rhodes on holiday in a couple of months and was wondering if it is possible to pick up a local sim card that would give me a GB or 2 of data and have no contract attached to it? If so does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks.

Uzantonomomia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For others finding this thread via search, I want to report on my recent experience in Greece. I am just back from a week in Athens and Syros during May 2011.

While it is theoretically possible to purchase pre-paid data plans for your iPad from Cosmote and Vodafone, I found that I could not do so and still have any time to enjoy my vacation.

I first thought I would get the SIM at the airport on arrival, but the branch of Germanos (the main Cosmote retailer) in the arrivals hall has closed, so the only branch at the airport is in the departure area and inaccessible on arrival.

Once in downtown Athens, I visited four branches of Germanos, two OTEShops of Cosmote, and two branches of Vodafone. The staff people in each one said that it was possible to buy a prepaid SIM card for an iPad, but none of them had the SIM cards in stock. They could be ordered to arrive in approximately a week. Obviously not possible on a week's vacation.

So, you may find promising information on the websites of the mobile carriers, but it may be hard actually to get hold of a SIM card. I had to give up and rely on WiFi. If you must have a SIM card, you may want to look into whether it is possible to order one online in advance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for your very helpful information - I'm sure this will be of great value to many of our Members - much appreciated..

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts