What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G indicator

hirschhs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As noted elsewhere, I have a pay as you go temp sim on my ipad 2 while I'm in transit. The 3G sign is present but quite often I'm getting a message which says that I'm not registered on a data service and so, can't get online. I'm guessing that this is a provider issue, not the ipad but before I steam into the local vodaphone shop, I thought I'd check that it isn't a known fault.:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice that you're travelling. Is this a roaming problem? Many cellular service providers require you to explicitly register for roaming and, of course, you have to have turned that on in 'Settings'

Tim

OP
hirschhs

hirschhs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, I bought the sim here in Hungary and will be changing it when I move on to China later this week so it's not a roaming issue. I guess I'll have to spend 2 hours waiting in line at the Vodaphone shop!

alliantce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem travelling within Europe. Specially outside of the UK.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you roaming? Have you spoken to your service provider to enable roaming and have you enabled it in the iPad's 'Settings' menu?

Tim

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, I bought the sim here in Hungary and will be changing it when I move on to China later this week so it's not a roaming issue. I guess I'll have to spend 2 hours waiting in line at the Vodaphone shop!

If it works the same way it does when I was in the USA a couple of weeks ago once you put the SIM into the iPad you then need to find a wifi connection (McDonalds if all else fails) and use wifii to get onto the SIM providers web site and register the card and maybe the plan. Once the card is registered you can then connect via 3G.

The same basic procedure also applies here in Australia.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hirschhs said:

Or buy alternative carriers chip?

OP
hirschhs

hirschhs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I only had to wait 10 minutes in the local V shop before a nice lady fiddled with my settings and off we went. ;-) Apparently something had not been set up correctly but unfortunately, I have no idea what since she was a bit secretive about it all...

Most reactions

Latest posts