What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uk 3g pre-paid sims?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
sorry if this is the wrong forum, but...

i'm fairly new to 3g/data plans/roaming internet etc etc. i've ordered my ipad 2 from tinterweb and will probably use an O2 microsim with a rolling contract.

to set these contracts up, even though the sim is free, i must register my details and payment details with the appropriate service provider. idially i'd prefer not to do this.

So, is there such thing as a pre-paid sim with a months worth of internet i can just pop into a phone shop and buy? no hassle no payment details etc etc. plain and simple. is this possible. do they do this?

i'm not bothered that it's not a microsim as you can buy a microsim cutter for a small handful of bucks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry if this is the wrong forum, but...

i'm fairly new to 3g/data plans/roaming internet etc etc. i've ordered my ipad 2 from tinterweb and will probably use an O2 microsim with a rolling contract.

to set these contracts up, even though the sim is free, i must register my details and payment details with the appropriate service provider. idially i'd prefer not to do this.

So, is there such thing as a pre-paid sim with a months worth of internet i can just pop into a phone shop and buy? no hassle no payment details etc etc. plain and simple. is this possible. do they do this?

i'm not bothered that it's not a microsim as you can buy a microsim cutter for a small handful of bucks.

Absolutely - '3' is the way to go. Just walk into a '3' store and hand over your money. No questions, nothing. That's what I did for my MiFi. I like their network - it's all 3G i.e no EDGE or GPRS. Great coverage in my area too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
do they do micro-sims though?

i've just been advised an ill-cut sim can become dislodged in the ipad, also, more importantly, normal sims dont interact directly with ipad's registration procedures, so it must be a micro sim in the first place

i just want to buy a pre-loaded micro sim like im buying a packet of sweets. this sounds ideal. but can i?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do they do micro-sims though?

i've just been advised an ill-cut sim can become dislodged in the ipad, also, more importantly, normal sims dont interact directly with ipad's registration procedures, so it must be a micro sim in the first place

i just want to buy a pre-loaded micro sim like im buying a packet of sweets. this sounds idel. but can i?

They certainly have microSIMs - I have one in my iPad now. But whether *those* are available pre-paid, I don't know as I have a rolling contract for my iPad. For my MiFi I have a '3' pre-paid that I paid cash for, but it's a regular one.

Tim
Scotland

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
awesome.

my local 3 shop sell them off the shelf. pre-loaded with a months with of 3g for about £10.50. no messing. then just top it up at a later date at my convenience (or buy another one of course). they dont even require payment info until i'm ready.

Thanks Tim.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts