$35.00 Linux Tablet - Video

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Sonny Burnett, Jul 24, 2010.

1. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It's possible that this device will stay in India. I could see myself using one like a PDA. Stuff one in the suitcase or carry it in a shirt pocket. That's one device that wouldn't break my heart if it fell to the ground...:p

2. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Hi vsavy nice to see you've joined us and congratulations. I hope you'll be very successful.

It would be great if large numbers of these are made as there are many areas of the world where gadgets like the iPad cost more than a years salary.

3. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think these are great projects. No one claims its goal is to "beat the iPad" - whatever that even means. Sure, for $35 its not going to be as fast as an iPad, its not going to have the best screen and all that. But, if it work, it gives people access to technology that would ever buy an iPad, or even a netbook.

4. vsavy

vsavy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    First of all, when I designed (some inputs from our colleagues) in Sept, 2009, we never imagined to beat any iPAD or even laptop. We were just worried about cost (cost was based on supplier in China). The speed was 600MHz (Not comparable to any Intel/AMD device) but surely one can run the basic app. The advantage we had, was to exploit the multi function pins of the processor where you can connect some more peripheral without any additional cost of the controller.

Vsavy

5. Jazzephaye

Jazzephaye
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how long that thing will work outside in the heat!!! smh

6. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    If you can make a good web browser and email app, it will be a great success at $35. Throw in a MP3 and video player and you've got something very useful for not much money.

7. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yep it's the Internet access which is the key to these devices. India has a very internet savvy population so I assume that access is fairly widespread. I can see them easily reaching their production targets.