3.26 GB of "Other" ?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Gotmilk0112, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Gotmilk0112

Gotmilk0112
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So I got a brand new 16GB iPad Air 2 today, and when I plugged it into iTunes, I noticed it had....3.26 GB of "Other" on the storage listing.

What exactly is this? Why is roughly 25% of my storage being taken up by this strange "Other", and how do I get rid of it? I know that "Other" also includes the operating system, but....is iOS 8.1 really taking up over 3 gigabytes?

#1 Gotmilk0112, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That 3.5GB is taken up by the operating system as well as the stock apps included with a new iPad. There's no way to delete any of the stock apps. You will also be prompted to install several Apple apps, such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, GarageBand, etc. You don't have to download these apps if you don't want them and can delete them if they're pre-installed.

#2 scifan57, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, we've gone over this in other threads - these days a 16 GB machine is likely to run out of storage quickly if photos, books, magazines, music, etc. are added; plus, several GBs of 'free' space should be reserved for future updates; e.g. on an OS X machine the usually recommendation is to leave 15%-20% of free storage.

You're simply going to be extremely limited in the amount of media and the numbers of apps & their data that can be put into that 'small' storage space; and unfortunately these devices do not permit hardware upgrades; so for years, a 'rule of thumb' for me in buying storage on these devices is to decide what you need and then at least double that number. Dave :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Hold in mind you should have a 15 day return option, so you could upgrade for about $100 if you don't wait too long.